• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents wont let me get my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skale7179

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I hope Im in the right spot for this....

Recently my car had a rod go bad. My father owns a shop and offered to let my husband work on the car there. We located a new motor and transmission for $300(paid $100 down) had my dad and brother check it out and we bought it. Come to find out later that day it was the wrong motor and transmission for the car, however my dad had another motor with the parts on it I needed to fix my car so we made a deal to trade...his part(a crank) for the motor I just bought and I would sell the transmission to get part of my money back to pay the remainding $200 owed.
2 weeks after starting the process of fixing the car, my dad demanded it be removed from his shop, why we still do not know. Having no where to take the car in order to get it fixed it stayed there for another week while I was trying to figure out what to do. In the meantime my brother went to the guy I bought the motor and tranny from and bought the tranny out from under me. :eek: (I had it advertised in the paper and someone was coming to buy it for $300 3 days later) Therefor I dont think I should pay for something I dont have, and was sold to my brother.
I was asked nearly everday "when are you gonna get your car out of here" So finally, being fed up, I called a "junk man" yesterday just to get rid of it and away from all the hassle. The car was suppose to be picked up today at 10am and I was told by my dad that I could not remove the car from his shop because of the parts we got from him. I told him we would remove the parts (it was the crank) and leave it there but that I just wanted out from under all of this. He still told me I could not take my car :confused:
So I guess my questions are:
-Is there anything I can do to get the $100 I paid down on motor and tranny and return the motor since the deal was broke by the guy selling the tranny to my brother?
-Can my dad legally keep me from getting my car?
Any help would be apprecitated....and my apoligies for this being so long!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">