• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nycz

NEW YORK

My job was recently phased out. I covered the office of an employment agency (temp & perm) Saturday and Sunday commencing Sat morning 1am and ending Sun night midnight (total 47 hours). I was actually in the office from 8am to 12am Saturday and Sunday and on call the remaining hours. My boss offered me almost half my salary to cover 70 hours a week from home which I turned down since the workload would not be any easier from home with many additional hours of coverage.
I told him I'd be filing for unemployment and he asked if I would temp for them. My question is: What are the rules as far as what jobs I'm obligated to accept. I know it must be equal to or more money, probably with the similar benefits, but do I have to accept work that's during the week since my hours for the last seven years have been weekends? Do I have to accept temporary work if they offer it? The truth is I'm on the ground floor of starting my own business and need to devote my time during the week which will eventually produce revenue. Just want to know what legs I have to stand on.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't believe anyone here can answer your questions; you'd need to contact your state unemployment board. They are too situation specific to be covered on a bulletin board.

In my state you would only be able to apply 20 hours a week to your own business before you would lose your eligibility. Your state law may be different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">