• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Likeness from a different angle...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bryanleemc

What is the name of your state?TEXAS

I am writing a book and would like to use a picture of me and my father without his permition.

The situation is this:

The picture is 40 years old, you wouldn't recognize him. (He was 25 at the time)
He is holding me.
He gave me the picture.
I want to put a black bar across his eyes, further limiting recognition.

Here is the picture:
http://bryanleemc.com/images/fathersonsm.jpg

Thanks in advance,

B

bryanleemc

It sybolizes attempt to not be recognized. I was kidnapped by him.

Thank you,

B

bryanleemc

I'm sorry, either you are incredibly rude, or you are speaking in riddles. Do you have advise on the likeness issue? I asked you nothing concerning my story or writing.

Thank you,

BelizeBreeze

Listen, you have two threads on the same subject going. If you want an answer to a specific question then post the specific facts. Otherwise, forget it.

As it stands now, you're asking about a likeness and publication of a family picture. But of course the REAL issue is one of parental kidnapping and covering yourself in the event that your father sues you for publishing the book.

Now, what is the REST of the story. Because like it or not, without the facts and ALL the facts, you can't get a valid answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bryanleemc

Of course I have two different threads. They are different issues. My issue on leagally using my father's likeness of 40 years ago has nothing to do with the kidnapping. Him breaking the law does not give me the right to break the law if it is in fact illegal.

Why would I post a child abduction law issue under Copyrights/Trademarks?

Why are you so mad? Are you not posting to help people?

I have two issues:

1. Can I publish a photo with my father and I on the cover of a book without his consent. The facts were on my original post.

2. Were there any laws pertaining to taking a child across state lines without spouses knowledge in 1965.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=727518#post727518

Would you like to post on the issue stated?

Thanks,

BelizeBreeze

bryanleemc said:
Of course I have two different threads. They are different issues. My issue on leagally using my father's likeness of 40 years ago has nothing to do with the kidnapping. Him breaking the law does not give me the right to break the law if it is in fact illegal.

Why would I post a child abduction law issue under Copyrights/Trademarks?

Why are you so mad? Are you not posting to help people?

I have two issues:

1. Can I publish a photo with my father and I on the cover of a book without his consent. The facts were on my original post.

2. Were there any laws pertaining to taking a child across state lines without spouses knowledge in 1965.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=727518#post727518

Would you like to post on the issue stated?

Thanks,
Because the issues ARE related, you just are so full of yourself you can't see it.

First, you have not yet stated if your father was charged with and found guilty of kidnapping. I am assuming that you are looking for the law to make the assertion that he did just that. Which, if you publish the photo without permission and on that basis, could end up in one hell of a libel suit.

Second, answer the first before even trying to tackle the issue of publication. Because like it or not, the answer to whether or not such a law existed and the fact that your father was or was not charged and/or convicted, totally suggests the answer to the second.

NOW, have fun. I'm done with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">