• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlocked access in Lousiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hansgessippi

What is the name of your state?Lousiana
I own and live on 1.79 acres that I inherited from my grandfather. My sister owns and lives on 5 acres behind me. She has legal access to her property through mine. The power company also has legal access. The property to my left has always been owned by the state and landlocked. Recently, a builder has bought this land from the state not knowing that it was landlocked. On the west side of his property there is 19 feet that lies between his property and the town street. The town will not allow him to put a driveway to his property since the land it crosses is "no mans land". This new property owner is now telling me that I may have to grant him access through my property since his is landlocked. Is that true?

nextwife

You are not required to "give" him anything. I am doubtful he wasn't aware there was no legal access. He should have read his title report and reviewed his survey FIRST.

He bought it landlocked. Nobody forced him to do so. He should have addressed these issues before closing.

If you wish, you can offer to SELL him an easement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">