• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pediatric medical records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

onetwothreefour

What is the name of your state?Louisiana

This topic doesnt really fall under any of your forum catagories. So i just randomly picked this one.

To my question -

Are your pediatric medical records available, to whomever it may concern, in certain circumstances even after ur an adult? I read somewhere that they could be disposed of after a ceratin amount of time when u become an adult.

Ive explored the net extensively trying to find something about the pediatric records still being available - or being disposed of

If there is anyone out there that may know medical law, id really appreciate if u could clear this up for me.

To sum up my incoherent question - Im just curious as to what the statutory requirements on recordkeeping of pediatirc records.

Thanks in advance.

ellencee

In your state's General Statutes, I did not find any information that makes a difference between the records of a minor and the records of an adult.

RS 40:2144§2144. Hospital Records and Retention Act
A. As used in this Section:
(1) "Health care provider" means a hospital, as defined in Paragraph (3) hereof, and means a person, corporation, facility, or institution licensed by the state to provide health care or professional services as a physician, hospital, ambulatory surgical center, dentist, registered or licensed practical nurse, pharmacist, optometrist, podiatrist, chiropractor, physical therapist or psychologist, and/or an officer, employee or agent thereof acting in the course and scope of his employment.
F.(1) Hospital records shall be retained by hospitals in their original, microfilmed, or similarly reproduced form for a minimum period of ten years from the date a patient is discharged.
(2) Graphic matter, images, X-ray films and like matter that were necessary to produce a diagnostic or therapeutic report shall be retained, preserved and properly stored by hospitals in their original, microfilmed, or similarly reproduced form for a minimum period of three years from the date a patient is discharged. Such graphic matter, images, X-ray film and like matter shall be retained for longer periods when requested in writing by any one of the following:
(a) An attending or consultant physician of the patient.
(b) The patient or someone acting legally in his behalf.
(c) Legal counsel for a party having an interest affected by the patient's medical records.

Immunization records are permanent and may be at the health department of the county where the child resided; immunization records are maintained at the CDC. Retrieval of old records may take a while and a fee is charged. If you need the records for passport purposes, you need to allow anywhere from 2 to 4 months.

EC

censored

It's not surprising you're confused, so are the professionals. There are federal and state laws, as well as requirements from a variety of regulatory agencies which determine how long medical records must be kept. Virtually all health care providers will keep minors' medical records until the age of majority plus the number of years required for maintenance of adult health records.

Many malpractice insurance companies recommend that records be retained forever, and if that's not possible, suggest 22-25 years, but for a minimum of 10. That means that for most providers, 10 years after the child reaches the age of majority.

I can't tell if you're trying to access or hide some records; either way, it can't hurt to ask your provider.

O

onetwothreefour

Actually i heard from a very reliable source that in LA the records are property of the doctor and they remain in his possession until he or retires.....I forget which one.....But once that happens they normally post a classified ad for people to retreive their medical records.....If after 'x' amount of time noone claims it, then they are simply disposed of.....

But thx for the replies fellas :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">