• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Follow this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpac1365

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I am selling a drum to a guy in Amsterdam, Holland. The cost is $850. He had a friend of his in the US send me a $5000 cashiers' check (drawn on a credit union in Montana) and asked me to wire the balance via Western Union to his friend in Manchester, UK.

Something did not feel right about the transaction. I told the guy that a $650 bankers' fee would be added to the cost of the drum -total $1500 would be deducted (from $5000) and the remainder sent with the drum to Manchester, UK. He said 'OK'.

This still does not feel right and was considering calling the FBI for advice - As I think this may be money laundering. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe this guy it totally legit.

But, I'd hate to be in the middle of a money laundering scheme, or worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cmorris

DO NOT DO IT!!!

It is likely a scam. After you get the money and send it to this guy, the bank will come after YOU for a counterfeit check. You will have to pay the bank back all of the money, plus fees.

It *may* be legit, but I wouldn't risk it.

BelizeBreeze

This is the second longest scam on the internet.

To prove it, all you have to do is agree contingent on the check not only clearing your bank, but also the Federal clearinghouse and the issuing bank in Amsterdam (or wherever).

And that's going to take about a month or so. If the purchaser is willing to wait for the difference in funds that long then fine. Go for it.

But I guarantee you that the minute you make this condition you'll never hear from them again.

mpac1365

We'll see...

I just sent him a message saying the bank told me to hold onto the cash for two weeks to a month due to an internet scam. "As the transaction between you and I is totally legal, I am sure you will have no problem with the banks suggestion."

Thank you very much for your input.
Should I contact the FBI if this guy is a fake?

mpac1365

He said ok!

The guy that wants to buy my drum agreed to my conditions that I hold onto the cash for 2-4 weeks until the bank has had time to make sure the check is not fraudulent.

He did ask that I email him when I get the check, though.
I also ran a check on the bank the check is drawn on. It's a legitimate bank.
I wonder if they could give me any info on whether the check was real or not?

Please advise me - Should I hold onto the cash for a month to give the bank time to make sure the check is real and to contact me? Is a month enough time?

After the month I am supposed to wire the balance via western union to his friend in Manchester, UK., and send the drum to same person.

mpac1365

may not be

You are saying this is a scam? Even if the guy doesn't mind me holding onto the cash while the bank makes sure the check is real? I plan on holding onto the cash for about six weeks. I figure, after that, the bank would have found any mistakes.

You Are Guilty

It may take even longer.

Trust us. It's a scam. Google up "419 Nigerian scam" (or ebolamonkeyman if you've got some free time and need a laugh) and you'll see why for yourself.

Happy Trails

It's strange how people are so hard to convince that they are being scammed. They want to believe that it is a legitimate deal and can't see it is 'too good to be true'.

Of course this guy is going to agree with anything you say; he hasn't lost anything stringing you along.

Poster, why does this guy need you to wire money to someone else for him?

Think about it...

Hey, now that I think about it, I could buy that drum set for my kid. But I need you to help me out with a money transfer. I'll make it worth your while...

Get it????

mpac1365

I get

I get that this may be a scam.

BUT, BelizeBreeze (back a few messages) said to give the guy a condition that I hold onto the cash until the bank clears the check with the original bank. BelizeBreeze thought that this guy would not agree to that if this were a scam.

The guy agreed to it heartily.

Now, if I hold onto the cash until the bank clears the check-a month to six weeks, THEN send the guy the remainder, Then it would seem safe.

BUT, YOU are confusing me because IF the bank clears the check, then all is fine. If my bank gets the money from the bank that issued the check, and i wait for that to happen, and I wait for the original (issuing) bank to clear the check, then what can go wrong at that point?

HomeGuru

mpac1365 said:

BUT, BelizeBreeze (back a few messages) said to give the guy a condition that I hold onto the cash until the bank clears the check with the original bank. BelizeBreeze thought that this guy would not agree to that if this were a scam.

Now, if I hold onto the cash until the bank clears the check-a month to six weeks, THEN send the guy the remainder, Then it would seem safe.

BUT, YOU are confusing me because IF the bank clears the check, then all is fine. If my bank gets the money from the bank that issued the check, and i wait for that to happen, and I wait for the original (issuing) bank to clear the check, then what can go wrong at that point?
**A: what is your problem? Do not, I repeat, DO NOT continue to correspond with this person or anybody else in connection with this scam. Forget about the cash, the bank, the 6 weeks..........

Happy Trails

mpac1365 said:

You did not do your homework. I asked you to follow the links I posted earlier. Had you done that then you would know the answer.

You Are Guilty

Hey, without people as hardheaded as the OP, scams would not exist. There's a reason why there are so many out there... they work.

Let the OP lose his money if he wants, he's been warned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">