• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insured Car, Uninsured Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Confused05

What is the name of your state? CA

I was driving my father's car a couple days ago when I was in a car accident. The car is insured under my father's name but i am not in his policy. Will this affect me in anyway?
It was a two stop intersection. I had the stop sign, stoped, looked both ways and saw no vehicles coming in any direction so I began to cross the intersection. I was almost out of it when I the car i was driving was hit. Left side driver's side...Its undrivable. The lady who hit me said she was unable to honk or to slow down. The CHP who took the report mentioned that accidents are not uncommon at the intersection. The cars traveling on the lane without stop signs are on a road that consist mini hills, which is the reason I did not see the SUV coming.
I do not believe I was at falt but am unsure how it will be determined. I am mostly worried because I believed I was on the policy for the car I was driving but am not. I do not have any type of car-insurance since I do not own a car.

stephenk

you are screwed coming and going depending on your answer to these two questions: Were you specifically named on your dad's policy excluding you from driving his vehicles? Were you living with your dad at the time of the accident? If yes, then read the following - First, you are at fault because the other car had the right of way. Just pray that the lady is not injured. Second, your license will probably be suspended because of no insurance. you will need to later provide proof of insurance to get your license re-instated. If the lady gets her vehicle repaired through her own insurance company, the insurance company will then come after you for reimbursement. Start saving your money.

If you answered no to both questions, then all you have to do is report the accident to your dad's carrier. They will take care of the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">