• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. Convictions overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Libertas

What is the name of your state? MI

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here, or under the immigration section, so I posted both.

I was wondering how felony convictions in the U.S. (specifically Michigan, my home state) affected background checks in another country. I was convicted 10 years ago (I'm 27 now) on some attempted burglary, and Uttering and Publishing charges.* Seeing as they were multiple offenses, the possiblity of having them all expunged are nil.

I have found that careers in education, medicine, and aviation (most anything that requires licensure) are next to impossible for me to pursue, as review boards generally look down upon felony records in these fields.

This alone was not enough to convince me to change my citizenship, but now with the passage of the USPatriot act, and the IFA (Matrix) database ( headed by none other than our friend, and convicted felon Admiral John Poindexter) up and running in Michigan, I have seriously begun to think about moving overseas.

I have an Associates degree with honors from a community college in my area, and am looking to move on to a four year university in an English speaking nation, maybe somewhere in Europe or Australia. I am very interested to know if this is even possible, because of the visa application process and whatnot. I guess what I'm saying is do U.S. felony convictions "count" in other nations, or do you start with a clean slate?

If anyone could provide me with any information, or links to sites that may contain anything related to this topic it would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening.

-Libertas

*I was sentenced to a year in the county jail for stealing food, and forging a $200 check from my friends parents at the tender age of 17.

"Aren't you sick of being caged inside those walls?"

-Hector (The Iliad, Homer)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">