• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AC Leaked into downstairs Condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redcheeto24

What is the name of your state? SC
I own an upstairs condo that I have had now for about 14 months. The AC condensate drain has leaked twice in three months. I have had the AC serviced every 6 months and the first time the Unit leaked down into the downstairs condo the AC company was called out. I thought that this would have been fixed by them. A month later the downstairs unit was very wet the owner called and said she had an issue. I went and replaced the peetrap and everything has dired up. I can see where this has happened before. She has requisted for me to repair her wall and floor. I do not think that just because this has happened twice I should pay to repair all of the current and existing damage.

What should I be held responsible for? How far could she get with me to repair all this in court? I am thinking there is about 1k of damage to her floor and walls.

She is trying to get me to have her home professionly cleaned from mold. I told her I would not do that. I have left it in the air for right now. What would someone advise me to do in this situation?

Thanks,
B

nusias9

NJ

I am not a lawyer. However, I have been in this position before. Our water heater damaged another owners storage unit located below ours. The owner wanted us to repair the sheet rock. We just paid her, because court cost are higher then sheet rock.

Your property damaged hers and it was forseeable. You knew there was a problem and it happended a second time.

How much damage should you pay for. Well you bet your bum,that you need to have that determined by your own contractors. Then let the proposal speak for itself. Make it clear that it should only identify new damage.

If she's not willing you let you bring in your own people (like in my case) speak with the HOA. Mine notified her that I had easement rights due to the damages caused by my water heater.

Mold!!! Yep that too!!!!! Would there be mold had your water not entered her unit. Most likely not! Besides if it's not black mold don't fear. They just clean the outer wall by washing it with bleech and let it air dry. Well at least that's the Jersey way!!! Not a big deal. :) Just let the contractor do his job!

However, I would not pay for the entire cost of new insulation.Yes, only if it had been replaced after the previous damage (prior to your ownership).

I would just pay for the sheet rock, it's rather cheap. Fight the big battles, like when the walls fall down and your home floods!!!!!!

Good luck..again I'm not a lawyer and opinions are well we know!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

redcheeto24 said:
What is the name of your state? SC
I own an upstairs condo that I have had now for about 14 months. The AC condensate drain has leaked twice in three months. I have had the AC serviced every 6 months and the first time the Unit leaked down into the downstairs condo the AC company was called out. I thought that this would have been fixed by them. A month later the downstairs unit was very wet the owner called and said she had an issue. I went and replaced the peetrap and everything has dired up.

**A: the sink drain line is called a P-trap. The one for the toilet, ok, you can call it a pee trap.
I can see where this has happened before. She has requisted for me to repair her wall and floor. I do not think that just because this has happened twice I should pay to repair all of the current and existing damage.

**A: why not?
What should I be held responsible for? How far could she get with me to repair all this in court? I am thinking there is about 1k of damage to her floor and walls.

She is trying to get me to have her home professionly cleaned from mold. I told her I would not do that. I have left it in the air for right now. What would someone advise me to do in this situation?

Thanks,
B
**A: get out your checkbook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">