• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not at fault, still claim on my insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ElizabethA

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My husband was involved in an accident on 9/7/04. He was driving south on a 4 lane highway. The other vehicle was travelling north. They both had a green light. The other vehicle turned left into a shopping center, directly in my husband's path. He tried to stop in time but was unable to. He hit the Uhaul trailer they were pulling behind their Tahoe. The police report states this as well. Their insurance is saying based on their client's story we are both at fault. They were going only 10-15mph so we should have had plenty of time to stop. They told us we need to have the vehicle moved to somewhere that doesn't charge a per day storage fee, and to claim all of this (tow, dr. bills, and car) on our insurance. If later on they find they are at fault we will be reimbursed. Is this really how it works? I don't feel I should have to claim this on my insurance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stephenk

if you want your property damage taken care of sooner than later and in full, make a claim with your own carrier. your carrier may decide your hubby has no fault for the accident. just making a claim does not raise your insurance rates.

your carrier will then go after the other driver's carrier for reimbursement.

From my experience with these stupid insurance companies once you file a claim and pay your deductible you'll never see your reimbursements. Never recieved mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">