• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help! roommate skipped town

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amish_terrorist

What is the name of your state? Ohio

my roommate was running about two months behind on his rent. two days ago he skipped town and took some of my stuff w/ him. we have seperate leases (his mom co-signed for him). i'm not worried about rent as i have informed my landlord and they are taking care of that part. i filed a police report today because he stole some of my belongings. the problem is he personally owes me over 1000 dollars in rent money from our old apartment (which he was not on the lease) and from utility bills in our current apartment. about two weeks ago he gave me 80 dollars (that's it) towards repayment of his debt to me. i told him last week we needed to sit down and talk about him repaying me but he skipped out two days ago before i could get him to sign anything. is there any chance i could get my money back in small claims court? i honestly doubt he'd even show up. thx in advance

HomeGuru

amish_terrorist said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

my roommate was running about two months behind on his rent. two days ago he skipped town and took some of my stuff w/ him. we have seperate leases (his mom co-signed for him). i'm not worried about rent as i have informed my landlord and they are taking care of that part. i filed a police report today because he stole some of my belongings. the problem is he personally owes me over 1000 dollars in rent money from our old apartment (which he was not on the lease) and from utility bills in our current apartment. about two weeks ago he gave me 80 dollars (that's it) towards repayment of his debt to me. i told him last week we needed to sit down and talk about him repaying me but he skipped out two days ago before i could get him to sign anything. is there any chance i could get my money back in small claims court? i honestly doubt he'd even show up. thx in advance
**A: do you know where he is?

A

amish_terrorist

somewhere in cincinnate w/ his girlfriend i suspect, he's originally from oregon but has no vehicle of his own and no money so i doubt he's headed home. his mom co-signed for him and i'm sure he wouldn't be welcome home after skipping out of his obligations and forcing her to make up for it

HomeGuru

amish_terrorist said:
somewhere in cincinnate w/ his girlfriend i suspect, he's originally from oregon but has no vehicle of his own and no money so i doubt he's headed home. his mom co-signed for him and i'm sure he wouldn't be welcome home after skipping out of his obligations and forcing her to make up for it

**A: if you do not know where he is then no sense filing a lawsuit since service can not be made.

A

amish_terrorist

well he has a cell phone (with a gps), he eventually has to get a job / pay a bill somewhere, couldn't the police or private investigator find this out?

HomeGuru

amish_terrorist said:
well he has a cell phone (with a gps), he eventually has to get a job / pay a bill somewhere, couldn't the police or private investigator find this out?
**A: yes, if you pay them enough.

A

amish_terrorist

judging by your # of posts you seem to be well educated in this field.. what are my best options?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">