• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to get money or property back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msmeyers2u

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin Five months ago, my fiance (now ex-fiance) and I purchased new rims and parts for his harley. It came up to $3300. I put it on my credit card. He was going to get a new harley and give me his. About a month ago, he moved out. I told him that I want either the property that I paid for, or the money that is owed to me. He's trying to tell me that it was a gift, which it was not. I have the receipt and my credit card statement. Do I take him to small claims court? Do I have a case?

BL

You would not be able to get property back ( parts ).
Every small claims case is heard on it's merits .
How long did you live together ?
You said BOTH of you went and bought the parts .

Since you put the charges on your credit card and have the receipts , you could possibly get a Judgment for that amount . That amount would seem quite high for a gift.

You would not be wise to go into court with the statement WE bought the parts. You could say I went with him when he purchased the parts and charged them to my credit card with the agreement I'd get something in return . I didn't .

You need to look up the small claims limit amount for your state.

Small claims filing fees are small. Go for it .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">