• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors and flooding????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Drenched in KY

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Our problem started when we decided to have our doublewide home moved to a piece of property my parents had given us. We live in Kentucky where there are two types of house seats, those on the side of a hill and those down in bottom land. Our land happens to be up on a hillside, our neighbors are directly across the road in the bottom. I called our county garage and ask them about putting in a tile for ditching and they said since our driveway is on the crest of a hill none was needed. So we had the drive built and ditched an existing (dry at that time) run outside along the property line with the next door neighbor down to the existing county ditch to try and avoid water damage for us and the neighbors.

During the past two to three weeks we have had the two hurricanes remnants come our way, the first (Frances) caused the ditch we built to fill in where places slipped and ended up with water running down the middle of our drive and across to the neighbors. We got out our shovels and fixed the ditch and went to the bottom of the drive and diverted the water to keep the neighbors from getting flooded.

Last night the remnants of Ivan and worse rain and flooding, our ditch ran over again and down the middle of our drive it went again. This time my husband went out to start working on the water and the neighbors wife came out screaming at him about water running into their garage and under their house and demanded to know what he was going to do, he tried to tell her he was there to try and divert the water again and she got so out of control. He came in and got me and we both went down and she was demanding to know why we "filled in" the ditch and why we didn't put in a tile...and said we were going to have to pay for the damage to their property inside the garage. I explained to her what the supervisor at the county garage said and she all but called me a liar, I went in and called his office and ask for him to come. By this time I was ready to call the law to calm her down and decided the best thing for me to do was ignore her.

After working on it for a couple of hours we (my husband and I) got the water diverted back to the ditch. Our neighborhood had a lot of flooding damage today. Anyway, this afternoon the county garage super finally showed up, by this time the neighbor was home from work and his wife had her parents there and they all ganged up on my husband who was down making sure the barricades we built were still working (not physically, but verbally) again the county super said he stood behind his decision, we did NOT need a tile, there was just a lot of water from Ivan and things would be better after our grass took root and we could get our drive rocked. BUT he is going to put a tile in to satisfy HER.

My question is, does she have a legal case and what should we look out for? She is demanding WE clean out her garage and still says we are going to pay for (as she puts it) $10,000 worth of electrical tools, BTW- her hubby is a garbage collector, not an electrician.

Sorry my post is so long.. :(

HomeGuru

Drenched in KY said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Our problem started when we decided to have our doublewide home moved to a piece of property my parents had given us. We live in Kentucky where there are two types of house seats, those on the side of a hill and those down in bottom land. Our land happens to be up on a hillside, our neighbors are directly across the road in the bottom. I called our county garage and ask them about putting in a tile for ditching and they said since our driveway is on the crest of a hill none was needed. So we had the drive built and ditched an existing (dry at that time) run outside along the property line with the next door neighbor down to the existing county ditch to try and avoid water damage for us and the neighbors.

During the past two to three weeks we have had the two hurricanes remnants come our way, the first (Frances) caused the ditch we built to fill in where places slipped and ended up with water running down the middle of our drive and across to the neighbors. We got out our shovels and fixed the ditch and went to the bottom of the drive and diverted the water to keep the neighbors from getting flooded.

Last night the remnants of Ivan and worse rain and flooding, our ditch ran over again and down the middle of our drive it went again. This time my husband went out to start working on the water and the neighbors wife came out screaming at him about water running into their garage and under their house and demanded to know what he was going to do, he tried to tell her he was there to try and divert the water again and she got so out of control. He came in and got me and we both went down and she was demanding to know why we "filled in" the ditch and why we didn't put in a tile...and said we were going to have to pay for the damage to their property inside the garage. I explained to her what the supervisor at the county garage said and she all but called me a liar, I went in and called his office and ask for him to come. By this time I was ready to call the law to calm her down and decided the best thing for me to do was ignore her.

After working on it for a couple of hours we (my husband and I) got the water diverted back to the ditch. Our neighborhood had a lot of flooding damage today. Anyway, this afternoon the county garage super finally showed up, by this time the neighbor was home from work and his wife had her parents there and they all ganged up on my husband who was down making sure the barricades we built were still working (not physically, but verbally) again the county super said he stood behind his decision, we did NOT need a tile, there was just a lot of water from Ivan and things would be better after our grass took root and we could get our drive rocked. BUT he is going to put a tile in to satisfy HER.

My question is, does she have a legal case and what should we look out for? She is demanding WE clean out her garage and still says we are going to pay for (as she puts it) $10,000 worth of electrical tools, BTW- her hubby is a garbage collector, not an electrician.

Sorry my post is so long.. :(
**A: tell them to talk to their homeowner's insurance agent. And you do the same.

D

Drenched in KY

My husband did ask if she had home owners insurance as she was screaming at him. (I assume that since they are making payments they do have it.) She ignored that and continued and also began taking pictures to which my husband said the only time people start that is when they are going to try and sue.

We don't have home owners insurance yet, the home title hasn't been signed over to us yet, and don't know if the previous owners kept it up, (It was just hooked together yesterday).

We are just wondering what actions they may try against us and take and how to be prepared.

Thanks.

HomeGuru

Drenched in KY said:
My husband did ask if she had home owners insurance as she was screaming at him. (I assume that since they are making payments they do have it.) She ignored that and continued and also began taking pictures to which my husband said the only time people start that is when they are going to try and sue.

We don't have home owners insurance yet, the home title hasn't been signed over to us yet, and don't know if the previous owners kept it up, (It was just hooked together yesterday).

We are just wondering what actions they may try against us and take and how to be prepared.

Thanks.
**A: sorry, we can't predict what the neighbors may or may not do and we have no idea as to current their mindset.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">