• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registered VS Trademark

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ashcraft

What is the name of your state?
California

what is the difference between registering and trademarking?

if i want to put a saying on a t-shirt should i ® or TM?

i heard that you can't trademark words/saying, only the design of it. so in that case is there any way to protect an idea that only really consists of words?

thanks!

HomeGuru

ashcraft said:
What is the name of your state?
California

what is the difference between registering and trademarking?

i heard that you can't trademark words/saying, only the design of it. so in that case is there any way to protect an idea that only really consists of words?

thanks!
**A: check out http://www.uspto.gov

J

J. Michael

You are not permitted to use ® unless your trademark is really registered. You can use TM whether or not it is registered.

i heard that you can't trademark words/saying, ...

Yes you can.

is there any way to protect an idea that only really consists of words?

You cannot trademark ideas. You can copyright expressions of ideas.

J

J. Michael

P.S. -- I read your thread "Trademarking for the clueless" in which you write: I have a "saying/slogan" i want use on t-shirts, and possibly on magnets, keychains, etc. What kind of trademark am I looking for and do I have to trademark in more than one "class"?

That is not what a trademark is, or is used for. A trademark is used to identify your business, and products or services, not to monopolize 100 common phrases/expressions on t-shirts. That would be more of a copyright, but short phrases do not meet the minimum for copyright protection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">