• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tidenova

Florida

I have a roommate that smokes pot out of his room. I have told him 10 times now not to do it or I would call the cops. Up until this point he has not taken me seriously and he thinks that because he pays rent he can do whatever he wants to in his room. He has no intention of stopping and even told me that if he wants to do it in his room he will and there is nothing I can do to stop him.

Now I realize that you have to pick your roommates carefully before signing a lease, but I live in a Fraternity house and I had no choice but to take this guy cause I had the only open room.

My question is, what can I legally do to stop this...can I actually just walk out of the room when I smell it and call the cops on him? Can I get him kicked out of the apartment complex by complaining to the manager? Bare in mind that even after 8 or 9 talks he has no intention of stopping and even told me that if I call the cops on him he will make up a story about me providing underage kids with alcohol. So what can I do?

CdwJava

Tell him the truth - that HIS smoking and possessing marijuana puts YOU in legal jeopardy, and either he quits smoking or you will call the cops. You might try the manager, but if they call the cops both of you might get the hit for it. If you call the cops, you better just hope that you do not have a hidden vice that your roomie will dime off.

- Carl

T

tidenova

I don't have/do anything of that nature that he could get me on.

T

tidenova

On a more serious note, this has gotten into a big discussion to the point where my roommate might get kicked out of the complex if I am angered enough to take it that far.

I have a question though because I am not getting straight serious answers. What are the exact legalities and problems that I can face with a roommate who is smoking/handling majiuana in my apartment?

I figure if I know the exact consequences to explain to him, he might stop.

T

tidenova

yes, but we recently moved into an apartment building that they are trying to market to us as a frat house (we call it the fratpartments). Everyone has an individual lease...ie our officers are telling us that he has the right to do what he wants in his room. But that's like saying I have to let him murder people and can't do anything cause he can do what he wants in his room.

D

D.B. Cooper

Jion him, take a few puffs, then you will not care what he does

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">