• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Nightmare- need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

locknest

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California - I am 49 years old.
This is long- please take the time I need help so badly-
Dentist #1- had been my dentist for over 4 years. Saw him every 6 months, cleaning and exam. Over the past several years, my teeth became horribly sensitive. I was told my gums were receeding and enamel was worn off, told to use sensidyne toothpaste. 2 specifics: several years ago they sent for a preauth for a new (replacement) crown on tooth #15. My insurance turned it down, as the current crown was only 3 years old. At that time, if I was told about it, I probably said I can't afford to pay cash for it. It was never mentioned again, I was certainly never told that if it wasn't treated, I could lose the tooth. Another specific- at either my last visit 11/02, or the one before, I asked about a cavity I could feel in a front tooth- I was told it was too small to fill, needed to wait until it got bigger to treat. The big problem: by the time my next 6 month visit was due, it was horribly obvious by looking in the mirror that I needed extensive dental work- so I bought a HMO dental plan and went to a new dentist, where my estimate for work needed was close to $30,000.00!!! Went to another dentist (Dentist #2) for a second opinion- same opinion, but offered less cost. Dentist #2 pulled 2 teeth, #21,& 22 (no idea if they needed it) and did 3 root canals in the same visit (without my prior knowledge or permission) on teeth #2,3,& 6. Very shortly thereafter, previous crown on tooth 5 broke. My final visit I was fitted with a flipper appliance for the missing teeth that an assistant placed- it hurt horribly, the dentist ran in, removed and filed it for a second, replaced it in my mouth, and ran out. I heard him next door beginning a root canal on another patient, so he was obviously not returning to me. Whatever temporary thing he did on the root canal teeth lasted a month or so- then I had 3 teeth with wires sticking into my tongue and lower teeth. I have since seen 3 other dentists, who told me the flipper thing was useless, and that all 3 of the teeth that had root canals needed to be surgically removed (one is loose), as well as tooth #5 with the broken crown, and tooth #15. The front tooth with the tiny cavity may or may not need to be pulled- it at least will need a root canal and crown.
I have medical conditions that are made worse by stress, as well as chronic infections in my jaws the past 1 1/2 years for which my family doctor had prescribed antibiotics several times- and I can barely eat. Almost every tooth in my head either needs to be pulled or to have a root canal and crown, and there is bone loss. I am extremely affected by any discomfort, and any appliance is likely to be constantly annoying if not painful. I am told now if I go ahead and get dentures, within a few years I will be eating gruel. I am going through a divorce, and am disabled- cannot afford any expenses at all, but between yet another HMO plan and my dental insurance, will be having the work done as I can afford it beginning in October. All of these dentists have taken x-rays, and most of them seem to not even believe I've been under the regular care of a dentist due to the obvious amount of decay. I have called 12 attorneys and can't find one who handles dental malpractice yet.
Opinions? Do I have a case against dentists 1 & 2? Oh- and I returned to dentist #1 after seeing several others and getting the bad news on the state of my teeth, hoping at least he would see his liability and offer to let me make payments on the work I needed- his response was to tell me (xrays not even needed) that their estimates appeared to be correct, the work needed to be done, and I should stick with the new dentist because he couldn't match their low prices. He claimed no liability at all (of course) and when asked said I must be taking some new medication that caused all this damage in 6 months. (NOT!) He suggested I take out a loan to get the work done.

ellencee

locknest
It is not negligent or below standard of care for one dentist to use procedures or appliances or provide treatment approaches that differ from what another dentist would do in the same circumstances.

A valid claim of professional negligence has to include damages that would not have occurred otherwise and said damages must have been foreseeable if the negligent act is allowed to occur.

You have a chronic illness made worse by stress, chronic jaw infections, bone loss, and accelerated dental decay most likely caused by gingivitis, a chronic bacteria of the mouth (jaw infection), and decalcification of teeth (jaw infections, longterm antibiotics, etc.). All of the dental work proposed is temporary as well as hideously expensive. In your situation, this dental work will be mainly cosmetic as it will not prevent the further deterioration of your teeth or prevent bone loss. You will require removal of all of your teeth and dentures within a short period of time, way before you could pay off a $30,000 loan. (What a crock! Who has $30K to waste on their teeth?!)

If I were in your situation, I would opt for a "final" solution, which is removal of all teeth and fitting of full dentures. You must take action to prevent further bone loss or denture fitting and replacement due to atrophy of the gum tissue as the bone loss progresses.

If you do not change your toothbrush regularly, I advise to you to throw out your toothbrush at least monthly and that you rinse your mouth with Listerine or its equivalent at full or half strength each morning and each night immediately before you sleep. If there is no medical contraindication or drug-interaction or allergy, I also suggest that you take a multivitamin daily, making the vitamin contains 100% of calcium, vitamin D, and B vitamins (B6, B12, folic acid and iron). These measures should assist in preventing further bone loss and aid in improving the overall health of your mouth.

I don't see a claim of malpractice or negligence or any damage that would not have occurred otherwise.

Best wishes,
EC

locknest

you can't be serious

It's just not possible for the teeth that were supposedly healthy to fall completely apart in 6 months- how can a dentist not seeing these problems developing NOT be malpractice? As for the root canals done- 3 root canals done on 3 teeth that need to be surgically removed in less that 6 months? That's ok? I didn't mention gingivitis because there isn't any- my gums are just great. The jaw infections are coming from the untreated teeth- not from fibromyalgia, which is my medical conditon- and hasn't been proven to have any relation to any type of vitamin deficiency, an interesting assumption on your part.
The way it's been explained to me was that if I were to have all the teeth pulled, it would result in further bone loss at a more rapid rate. The jaw infections and antibiotic use has been as a result of the problem with my teeth the past 1 1/2 years, not the cause of it. The decalcification has been a long term thing- probably having to do with all of my bad habits, like sipping soda and sweetened coffee all day while working (which ended 3 years ago) eating salted lemons often as a kid, brushing for years with a very hard toothbrush and lots of energy, brushing religiously immediately after drinking soft drinks, and not realizing that I have a dry mouth, possibly sjogren's. Since my regular dentist was aware of the enamel problem, I would think (and did think) he would be even more diligent about my oral exams.
Perhaps you're right- but it doesn't seem right to me.
I do however appreciate your comments.

Last edited:

ellencee

locknest
Sorry you don't like my answer, but the events you described can and do happen in what appears to be a short period of time. Antibiotics can affect one's teeth and so can a chronic illness and so can chronic infections; each does so by using essential nutrients (like vitamins) and will take them from available sources (like your teeth). Ask any pregnant woman who has lost teeth during, immediately after, or a couple of years after a pregnancy when the teeth were robbed of their calcium and other nutrients.

I gave you suggestions for improving and maintaining your oral health and I didn't charge you a dime. Take it or leave it; it's your oral health that is at stake.

Dental negligence does not appear to be a factor in the status of your teeth.

A definitive answer is available by calling a local medmal attorney who has experience in dental related medical malpractice issues.

EC

locknest

not liking the answer?

It's not as you state a matter of not liking your answer- your answer just indicates you didn't read my post. The illness has nothing to do with dental decay...I only mentioned it as the stress of dealing with this mess causes me additional pain in my neck and back. Fibromyalgia doesn't cause dental decay. The antibiotics were prescribed after the dental problems started, to deal with the dental problems. They also are not the cause of it.
Your answer I'm sure has good advice in it- it just doesn't apply to my case, as you seem to imply repeatedly that the result was the cause. I've repeated all of this twice already- it doesn't appear that you are reading what I am writing- so I will hope someone else might respond, and continue my search for a med mal attorney.
Thanks for taking the time regardless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">