• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit for the other party to file a claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drmoocow

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was backing out of my parking space at the school's parking deck and I bumped into another parked car behind me. Since there wasn't a driver in there, I called the campus police and I requested a police report to be written. I gave the police my insurance information, and contact information, and the police report was finished, and the police left a note on the car that was damaged in the parking lot.

It's been over 24 hours since the incident happened, and the other party still hasn't contacted me. I already called my insurance company yesterday telling them what had happened. Now my question is: Is there a time limit that the other party has to file a claim and how long would I be responsible for the damage? Does anyone know the GA code section?

Thanks

im in ga as well. the school parking lot is considered private property so they wouldn't issue you a ticket for that. i believe the limit to seek action is 2 years.

maybe they didn't get the notice...i would assume that is the reason why they haven't called you.

drmoocow said:
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that the other person would have a two week window on that.
that was cool of you to leave your info :D most people aren't that nice :)

i remember when i backed into a customer's car at my job i went back in and got the cop (he is night security at the restaurant) and had him make a report for me and get the owner to let them know that happened.

drmoocow

It's my girlfriend that hit someone. I am just here to post for her. But yeah, I hate it when people "hit and run"

A few days ago, I was driving down ashford dunwoody road when ivan was here. Traffic was completely grid locked and it was raining like crazy; some donkey decided to slam into my bumper and had the guts to drive away in traffic. Sadly, the driver got away by driving on the side walk where my car didn't even have any clearance. It was a suv that hit me.

what a *******!!! :mad: (the suv driver). im sorry that they got away but karma will catch up to them and they'll wish they had stopped and did the right thing. ;)

yeah traffic was no joke at all. my friend works on ashford-dunwoody road. on her way home it took her an hour to reach spaghetti junction. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">