• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bond Revocation for Failure to Appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sharoncea

What is the name of your state? Texas

I bonded my son out of jail for a misdemenor Driving with a Suspended License. He did not appear in court as he either was not notified by the bonding co, or forgot. It was $1000 bond. The bonding company says they filed a lien on my home for $6700. What happens when someone does not appear? How could the bond get from $1000 to $6700. I have not received any paper work from any court that says there is a lien on my home. Are they just using scare tactics?

CdwJava

You can likely save your home - or the money - if your son appears in court (i.e. he turns himself in).

It is NOT the bond company's job to hold the defendant's hand to see that he gets to court. He should have an attorney to do that. Plus, when he was released on bond, he likely received something indicating a future hearing. The court (at least in CA) does not simply tell the bond holder the court date and leave it at that.

Typically, when someone does not appear a warrant is issued for their arrest and their bond is revoked. After a certain period of time (and I am not sure what the time frame is in TX - it might be immediate, but it's likely a period of several months) the bond is forfeited by the court and the bonding company is OUT all the money they put up for bail (which is more than the 10% or so that the defendant had to put down to receive the bond).

Yes, they CAN put a lien on your property - which, I imagine was used as an asset to help secure the bond.

So, you can either see that they find your son, or, you can pay the bond company the amount they are going to lose ... and, your son will still be a fugitive from the law.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">