• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my child a run away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lahijadelviento

What is the name of your state?Kentucky
Alright, most specifically, my seventeen year old son (in college) has recently informed his father and I that he wishes to leave the state and travel to New York to persue his education. He claims he will leave before he is eighteen with or without our concent. What kinds of options do we have to keep him here until he's eighteen and it's out of our hands?

CdwJava

You might have to call your local law enforcement agency and see what they say about the laws in your state. I have found recently that there are states that will not recover or do anything about runaway 17-year-olds. I do not know if KY will or not.

So, the first step is to call local law enforcement and see what you can do if he takes off. You might also consider cutting off his source of money and transportation if he is seriously considering this option.

No money and no transportation kinda makes it hard to run very far.

- Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

"Runaway" by Del (IAAL) Shannon

As I walk along,
I wonder what went wrong,
With our love, a love that was so strong.
And as I still walk on,
I think of the things we've done
Together, a-while our hearts were young.

I'm a-walkin' in the rain,
Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain,
Wishin' you were here by me,
To end this misery
And I wonder--
I wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder,
Why,
Why, why, why, why, why she ran away,
Yes, and I wonder,
A-where she will stay-ay,
My little runaway,
Run, run, run, run, runaway.

I'm a-walkin' in the rain,
Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain,
Wishin' you were here by me,
To end this misery
And I wonder--
I wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder,
Why,
Why, why, why, why, why she ran away,
Yes, and I wonder,
A-where she will stay-ay,
My little runaway,

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ummonx said:
He will get a hell of alot better education in NY then he will in KY.

My response:

Actually, the kid might starve to death in New York. It's against the law to shoot the squirrels and opossums in Central Park. :D

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ummonx said:
the rats on the subway lines make good eatin :rolleyes:

My response:

Mmmmmm, mmmmmm, good!

You're right - - thems good eatins!

Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.

Then, one day he was shootin' at some food . . .
And up from the ground come a bubblin' crude . . .

Oil that is . . .

Texas Tea!

. . . you know the rest.

IAAL

L

lahijadelviento

yes...rodents are great on the bar-b but any clue about kentucky laws I can make use of to keep my son home?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lahijadelviento said:
yes...rodents are great on the bar-b but any clue about kentucky laws I can make use of to keep my son home?

My response:

Sweetheart, we're trying to tell you, with all of the screwy responses is that, no, there's nothing you can do. He wants to spread his wings, so let him. This is why you had children - - so that one day they'd leave the nest and be responsible for themselves.

The time has come. Let him go, and help him.

IAAL

L

lahijadelviento

It would be easier to let him go if I knew it wasn't because I had no way to keep him. Are there no Kentucky laws to persue runaways? If he leaves the state do their laws apply?

CdwJava

If you report him as a runaway, the laws in your state will govern that report. If the child is located in another state, the laws in that state will govern what is done with the child.

When you report your child missing, he is entered into a nationwide Missing Person system. If the police in any state find him and run his name, they will discover he is missing. If their state allows them to hold him in custody, they will. If it does not, then they won't. However, it sounds like you know where he'll be going, so you might consider checking with an attorney or the NY state Attorney General's Office to see what the laws are in NY regarding runaways. In other words, ask if you come out there, can the police assist you in taking your own child back out of state.

In the meantime, consider restricting his access to money and transportation - even the internet ... often, kids find connections (not of the type you might approve of) ON the internet.

- Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
lahijadelviento said:
It would be easier to let him go if I knew it wasn't because I had no way to keep him. Are there no Kentucky laws to persue runaways? If he leaves the state do their laws apply?
How about letting him go because he's pursuing a higher education and trying to make something of himself. It's not as though he wants to go to NYC to be a male prostitute, right?

rmet4nzkx

While your child is not 18 yet he has graduated from high school and will be 18 in less than a year no matter what you do to try and stop it!

You have given no compeling reason to detain your son in Kentucky, since his purpose is to get an education, it is usually better to try to earn the degree without a lot of transfers, why force your child to disrupt their education and possibly prolong it. You should be proud of your son for his achievements. What your son needs is your support and encouragement. Will he make it on his own without your help in New York, perhaps or perhaps not, why encourage failure by not extending your enocuragement or alter your relationsip merely because you don't want him to grow up? Children make mistakes the also learn by them as well. Perhaps there is some reason you are not disclosing for your reluctance to let him pursue his higher education in New York?

It is unlikely the police will do anything because he wants to go to school out of state.

Ummonx

trust me, if the kid is going to NYC the police will laugh at you. I can see it now

"Lemmie see If I have this right lady, your son has no history of drug use or sale, prostitution, terrorist activities, and ran away for the express reason to further his education. Hey guys!!! come over here, The I told you they werent' acting in that Good Life Show!!!!"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In your other post, you said that he will be 18 in November.

That means that two months from now, he can leave home with or without your consent, go anywhere he wants to including NY, for any reason he wants including to get an education; he will NOT be a runaway and there will be NOTHING you can do to stop it (except by refusing to finance the operation - that you can legally do. Once he is an adult, you have no legal obligation to support him, whether he's in KY or NY).

Since he will be able to set the terms in such a short time, is it REALLY worth forcing him to stay in KY for the VERY short time left to you that you legally can? Is it REALLY worth disrupting your relationship with him, just to prove that you can force him to stay put?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">