• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble for son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wthargrove

What is the name of your state?Texas

My son is currently being held in a county jail for some sort of assault. I don't have all the facts, only what he has conveyed to me via telephone since he has been incarcerated. This is what i understand:

His wife, after taking their children to a babysitter, came and told him that she wanted a divorce. He wanted to go and get his son (only one of the two boys is actually his, although he has been a dedicated father to them both)from the sitter. She was trying to keep him from doing so. He shoved her aside so he could exit the apartment and she stuck her leg in front of the door, stopping him. My son was distraught and then went to the kitchen and got a knife and threatened to slash his wrists. When she asked him if he was going to slash his wrists, he replied that he might as well, she was killing him anyway and did she want to join him? No one slashed their wrists that I know of, but the police were called and my son taken to jail. Bond is set at $20,000 and he cannot make bond. He has lost his job because he couldn't show up for work. He has not been allowed to go to the legal library or consult a lawyer. Since he clearly cannot afford one, I would think the court would appoint one. Child Protective Services has come to the jail and informed him that he cannot see his child for at least a year. He has been told that he has been charged with a felonious assault and that he could get as much as 15 years. Also, he has been told that any time now served will NOT count as part of sentence.

Can anyone shed any light on this? What type of assault could he be charged with? Why couldn't he see his child if/when he gets out? Why is the bond so high? Since he has no money, no employment, why is he being denied a court appointed lawyer? Why wouldn't time served count toward part of a sentence?

D

diajazdam

I don't know how they do it in Texas but Louisiana if she say is terrified of him she can get anything she wants to keep him away from the kids. My ex husband pulled the same thing on me by filing restraining orders on me but the only thing that saved me was that I had proof that he was abusing me. But it took the courts to get tired of seeing us come before them for him saying I beat him and his MOTHER up. Yes she would get involved everytime. So my advice to you is don't let your motherly instincts kick in and go after her. It will blow over, nine times out of ten she has someone else or he really was abusive. The charge might be aggravated battery or something I'm not sure. I know you are concerned write the judge and have him write too. Keep him with money til its over. Ask the judge when you write about a sign out or bond reduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">