• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors tree height blocking light & view

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susn

What is the name of your state? California. I own a townhouse in a small complex. My neighbor has a tree that has grown so tall, above our roof lines, and it is blocking all light making my home very dark. Some of it's limbs are also over my fence and I know I can cut those, but what is the law regarding blocking my light and view? What are my legal rights and options?

snostar

There is no right to a view or natural light, unless your city or county law provides for it. If and when you trim the branches that are only within your property boundary be sure not to damage the tree.

HomeGuru

susn said:
What is the name of your state? California. I own a townhouse in a small complex. My neighbor has a tree that has grown so tall, above our roof lines, and it is blocking all light making my home very dark. Some of it's limbs are also over my fence and I know I can cut those, but what is the law regarding blocking my light and view? What are my legal rights and options?
**A: is your neighbor part of your development project and therefore shares the same CC&R's?

Last edited:
F

Ferenc

Ask, inform and clarify with your neighbors on what part of
the tree you want removed, and when you'd like it done.
Although I am writing this post a good month later, you may have already
solved the problem but don't cut back more than what is really necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">