• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wisconsin resident driving without insurance in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RWenger

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I need help fast!

Everything's coming apart. I'm 52 years old, retired/disabled and never had an accident. Back in March, I let my insurance expire. It's not required in Wisconsin -- it's only required after you have an accident. Two things I didn't know: 1) Even if you're from Wisconsin, you can't drive without insurance in Illinois. 2) They've started doing "roadside safety checks" in Illinois. I got stopped in Grayslake (Lake county) and ticketed for no seat belt and driving an uninsured vehicle. My court date is THIS COMING FRIDAY.

So, I read on the internet, what you do is you get the insurance, show up on the court date, and ask for "court supervision." If it's granted, you pay court costs instead of the $500 fine and suspended plates! Does that sound about right?

Anyhow, I called my old insurance agent, and at first they said there'd be a 55% increase, but when I mentioned my speeding ticket from almost two years ago, they said "we're not certified to insure high risk drivers" such as me! She gave me the name of another agency, and I'll be talking to them tomorrow. From quotes I've seen on the internet, it looks like my rate is going up from $360 to $760 for 6 months. I can afford it -- barely -- but it's going to almost kill me financially. I'm on a fixed income.

My total driving record is: 1 ticket for going 70 in a 55 almost 2 years ago, 1 ticket for no seat belt just over a year ago, and now this -- no seat belt and no insurance 3 weeks ago. No accidents in 26 years on the road.

My questions are:
- Am I going about this the right way?
- Am I going to survive all this?
- Can they take away your Wisconsin plates in Illinois??
- Suppose I can't get insurance before Friday? If I go down there for the court date, can they IMPOUND MY CAR?!?!?
- Could I just pay the fine and promise to never drive in Ilinois again?

Thanks a million in advance for any and all advice you can offer.

Rick

nextwife

Contact many insurers. AARP has an insurance program. Are you a AAA member? They have members insurance. Shop, you will find something.

As to the ticket and legal problems - do get an attorney. It is worth the investment.

R

RWenger

Thanks, nextwife

I got insurance at a decent rate now, so I guess I'm not as concerned about their taking my plates or impounding my car. I'd still like to hear answers to those questions from anyone who has any first hand knowledge. My new insurance agent seemed to think insurance is not required for Wisconsin drivers in Illinois, but I called the state highway police, and someone there seemed quite certain it *is* required.

Rick

ptlmejo

Illinois can not suspend your Wisconsin plates. If someone tries to tell you about the compact, ignore it as WI isn't a member of it anyway.

And, as they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"...I suspect that while you're in IL, you're subject to their laws regarding the insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">