• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

??? regarding lawyer's incompetence and actions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IggyKat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

I hope this post is not too complicated for someone to help me with, and will try to be as consise as possible.

Hired a lawyer to help settle a dispute regarding ownership of property. They were actually legally entitled 1/32 value of property, it only amounted to about $1,400 ea. for her and 2 sisters each. They wanted to fight it and try to get 1/2, even after their own lawyer told them it was probably usless for them. BTW, we paid them off $2,000 5 months ago, and final papers are not yet completed to free us up to sell property.

Lawyer told us case should be complete in 6, maybe up to 12 months. We paid him retainer fee, then process of petition to partition was begun.

First off, he was senior partner, and passed our case over to a new guy, fresh out of law school. The last 19 months have been a nightmare of mistakes on his part; some that WE had to point out to him ourselves.
We have caught him in an untold amount of lies, and I have every email passed between us. After we had been into this months and months we couldn't fire them as we could not afford another retainer fee, and risk going on and on even MORE months until resolved. :(

The incompetence has been unreal. A lot of the misery was all the steps that needed to be taken, were taken weeks and weeks to complete, when some were easily able to be completed in a day or two; excuses ranged from, "papers got misplaced", "forgot to call" other lawyer, completing & submitting "incorrect legal forms to courthouse", you get the picture. Many even concerned "other lawyer not returning calls for weeks) :eek:

Now, we live in a small town, where all the lawyers are buddy buddy, and hang out at the local country club. This HAS to be a lie, because I'm sure they would not treat one of their own this way. Of course no way I could prove that, legally. :mad:

All this is bad enough, but I was/is in finanical hell, because of all the work we did on property before this "b$&*h" came crawling out of the woodwork, knowing exactly what we were doing to repair the house to sell. Now, I am very close to bankruptcy, if it were not for the incredible kindness of family, would have already been. They cannot, of course go on and on doing that, and we would not ask.

Do we have any recourse at all here? Maybe at least file a complaint and have it on their file? Or is that useless?

If you've read this mess thus far, any advice?

Thanks,
Gayle

BelizeBreeze

You have a right to file a complaint with the state bar association. HOWEVER, there is nothing in your post regarding facts that would point to provable incompetence.

I

IggyKat

Very simply.....

John123456,

Because this post is a bit embarrasing, and my other username is used on other forums I use, craft, home improvement, etc. Now, there, you know, and possibily a few other forums I visit will as well!

If you've looked at my other posts on these legal forums here, you'll notice they were mostly regarding some aspect of this matter, as well as a couple of other legal questions. I've always been truthful and upfront. I have nothing to hide!

Does that answer your question??

Gayle

P.S. The link to another of my quesions you posted, was in regard to this very same case, just had to do with another legal question of it. Didn't want to muddy the water with 2 issues.

Last edited:
I

IggyKat

Actually.....

that's none of your business, why don't you go and try to post some answers on this forum to actually HELP someone, not trying to bully or be nosey? I noticed you post here an awful lot, trying to give advice, any special reason you do THAT? :eek: Do you need to feel important?

If you are so interested in what I do online, why don't you take your "Would Be" computer Guru skills and go find all of them and check them out; seems you have nothing better to do.

So, go play nice and stop be annoying. :mad:

I

IggyKat

Thank You

BelizeBreeze, at least you gave a helpful answer, which is what I was looking for to begin with. :)

HomeGuru

IggyKat said:
that's none of your business, why don't you go and try to post some answers on this forum to actually HELP someone, not trying to bully or be nosey? I noticed you post here an awful lot, trying to give advice, any special reason you do THAT? :eek: Do you need to feel important?

If you are so interested in what I do online, why don't you take your "Would Be" computer Guru skills and go find all of them and check them out; seems you have nothing better to do.

So, go play nice and stop be annoying. :mad:

**A: I resent that! Especially the use of the word Guru skills.

I

IggyKat

Go Ahead

and post one more time so you can have the last word, you seem to need it to feel important.

Bottom line, I needed an answer to a legal question and got it.

HomeGuru

IggyKat said:
and post one more time so you can have the last word, you seem to need it to feel important.

Bottom line, I needed an answer to a legal question and got it.

**A: OK IggyPop, IggyStooge, PiggyKAt, Gayle or Donna or whatever, enough already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">