• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot accident in Iowa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angeleyes52353

I'm from Iowa, and I was driving my dad's car. I switched insurance for the week until I was able to buy a new one (as my prev. car broke down.) I had insurance.. As I was backing out of the parking spot I looked around and did not see anyone. I was driving approx.. 2-5 miles an hour tops! All of a sudden I felt a little bump.. Looked out.. almost **** my pants.. and saw a truck.. hit.. the guy's truck was approx.. 2-3 car loads away (a parking lot.. that fast?) We decided to handle it out of court/police/insurance.. as the damage was very little.. blemishes (buff it alittle.) This happend on March 27th? He contacted me a week later stating something.. and I asked him to get some estimates.. He contacted me in June.. and stated he had A estimate.. I asked him for 3.. Finally Sept 19, 2004 this male contacts me.. tells me the price.. I contact him by phone later that day to meet up .. and inform him i'm biring a friend.. I brought my friend who did insurance claims/repair work a little while ago. He didnt see much damage.. stated "buff it." We tried to work out an agreement.. maybe 300$ instead of $600.. When we started to talk the male angerly proceeded to his truck and drove off fast stating he'd contact his insurance company.. on the 20th of Sept.. I received a call.. Stating a claim was being filed.. I told the lady everything as I am stating now.. What should I do?

Pay the $600.

You don't get to choose who does the work when you are at fault, and you can't say that $600 is unreasonable when you don't for sure know.

Contact your insurance company, and see what they say.

A

angeleyes52353

I think they will put me at fault if I decide to pay him off. Also.. he filed the claim already.. any ideas?

i would just let the insurance company handle it. cause it's possible that the dude will show you a higher estimate to get more money and get it fixed cheaper anyway if he has it repaired at all. at least with the insurance co., the check they give him he can only use for the repairs

A

angeleyes52353

thats exactly what i was thinking. but does the insurance company make a person show them.. that they used the $$$ on repairs? i wonder how much my isurance rate would go up.. he did leave damage on the left bumper of my car... but i really do not care.. as I just gave it to mom.. (was mine.. then dads.. then passed it to mom)

BelizeBreeze

The ONLY options you have are to either pay the $600 or turn this over to your insurance company. And yes, if you had filed a police report, you would most likely be found at fault.

A

angeleyes52353

the male already turned it over to his insurance company. do i need to do this too?

Happy Trails

You were backing out, you are at fault.

What is your deductible? If it is $500.00, then you would be on the hook for that anyway and the insurance co. would pay the rest ($100.00). Then you may be put into a higher risk which in turn could cause higher premiums.

Your choice.

A

angeleyes52353

its 397$ for the damage.. the insurance lady said.. so now what.. the guy also state he would contact the dot.. and take my liscense away.. so how would i have to pay this 397 insurance? or premium or?

angeleyes52353 said:
its 397$ for the damage.. the insurance lady said.. so now what.. the guy also state he would contact the dot.. and take my liscense away.. so how would i have to pay this 397 insurance? or premium or?
it depends....how much is your deductible? for instance if your deductible is $500 or more then i would pay the $397.

as for your liscense.....the guy is being a jerk :rolleyes: you backed into him it was an ACCIDENT you didn't do it on purpose. don't worry about his little threats ;)

Happy Trails

angeleyes52353 said:
Slow down. Which ins. lady his or yours?

Quote:
so how would i have to pay this 397 insurance? or premium or?

Huh?

What is your deductible? It should be on your policy.

A

angeleyes52353

his insurance lady.. stated she say 360-400 or so in damage.. no more..

Happy Trails

angeleyes52353 said:
his insurance lady.. stated she say 360-400 or so in damage.. no more..

Okay, since you keep dodging the deductible question, I'm going to assume you did not have insurance. If this guy goes through the efforts of reporting you etc...then you will get in trouble for not being insured. So pay the guy.

On the other hand if you do have insurance....
You have been told by other posters to let your insurance company handle it; however you fear that you premium will be raised. Since your deductible most likely exceeds the amount they are asking; why would you want to go through the insurance company. Just handle it on your own by paying the guy. After all, he just wants to be compensated for the damages you caused. Your just pi***** him off because you are not stepping up to your responsibilities.

Happy Trails said:
Okay, since you keep dodging the deductible question, I'm going to assume you did not have insurance. If this guy goes through the efforts of reporting you etc...then you will get in trouble for not being insured. So pay the guy.

On the other hand if you do have insurance....
You have been told by other posters to let your insurance company handle it; however you fear that you premium will be raised. Since your deductible most likely exceeds the amount they are asking; why would you want to go through the insurance company. Just handle it on your own by paying the guy. After all, he just wants to be compensated for the damages you caused. Your just pi***** him off because you are not stepping up to your responsibilities.
your premium may not even go up depending on previous driving record. and if it does it will only go up by a couple of dollars.

i accidently backed into someone 2 years ago and my insurance premium didn't go up at all!!! i assume it was because my damages were very minor.

A

angeleyes52353

yeah i have insurance.. just didnt want the premium going up... i have noc lue how to check back on that policy.. and see what the cost i'd pay would be..

misty

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">