• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my deposit back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bgrant_12002

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Earlier this year, I lived in an apartment. The broadband internet supplier required a $100 deposit for the modem. I have paid all my bills with them flawlessly. When I discontinued service, I returned the modem to the apartment office upon moving out. They happily said they would turn it in for me. They said they do it all the time. The apartment office recently (a week ago) issued an email to the ISP that said they would no longer perform this service for the ISP.
The ISP says that they will not return my $100, because they didnt receive the modem. I have the serial # of the modem. The apartment office says they dont keep a log, and are not responsible for loss of the modem. Can I take either or both to small claims court? I realize that $100 is hardly worth it, but in this case, it really is the principle of the matter. The ISP and apartment office have been rude throughout the proceedings. I'd like to show them that they cant just take my money without a fight. Thanks.

BG

BL

If your Apt. manager Office had an agreement with the ISP to turn in residences modems and you can prove the managers took control of your modem, you might has a shot at winning.

The theory being, upon them taking possession with the agreement to turn these modems into the ISP , they failed to use reasonable diligence in handling the issue.

Again this is all contingent that you can prove all of your allegations .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">