• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOAs and Owner's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

serenity99

I had a leak a few years ago. HOA was notified - no action taken by them. My ins co was called in, damages assessed (none, except my carpet) and flooring replaced.

Two months ago, new neighbor moves in, smells odor and blames my pets for young baby developing asthma. HOA comes in to inspect (and unfortunately had peeing cat at the time) and smelled urine. In doing an inspection, they noticed the floorboards under the carpet were darkened. Now they are saying that the floorboards need to be replaced, drywall replaced, etc. because "the cats did it"! However, the HOA is repeatedly asking if the insurance contractor mentioned replacing the floorboards at the time of the leak. No matter what I answer, they continue to pursue the cats as the cause.

They are even talking about ripping down the walls if necessary - all at my expense because of "the cats".

I have already taken up the piece of carpet in the hallway where the cat peed and replaced the flooring - no more odor. (I think what they smelled was actually caused by my using carpet shampooer in that area right before they came in - created moisture).

All of a sudden, no smell in neighbor's place but they continue to relentlessly pursue this lawsuit for damages. They are looking for every single trace of "cat" in my home and if they find any it is being classified as damage.

Yes, pets can cause damage. I am well aware of that and would correct any - as I have done. However, this is no less than victimization. What is my recourse?

HomeGuru

serenity99 said:
I had a leak a few years ago. HOA was notified - no action taken by them. My ins co was called in, damages assessed (none, except my carpet) and flooring replaced.

**A: and what was the cause of the leak ie. ac, roof, plumbing etc. and who paid for the repair you, the HOA, the neighbor or your, your neighbors or the HOA insurance co?

Two months ago, new neighbor moves in, smells odor and blames my pets for young baby developing asthma. HOA comes in to inspect (and unfortunately had peeing cat at the time) and smelled urine. In doing an inspection, they noticed the floorboards under the carpet were darkened. Now they are saying that the floorboards need to be replaced, drywall replaced, etc. because "the cats did it"! However, the HOA is repeatedly asking if the insurance contractor mentioned replacing the floorboards at the time of the leak. No matter what I answer, they continue to pursue the cats as the cause.

They are even talking about ripping down the walls if necessary - all at my expense because of "the cats".

I have already taken up the piece of carpet in the hallway where the cat peed and replaced the flooring - no more odor. (I think what they smelled was actually caused by my using carpet shampooer in that area right before they came in - created moisture).
**A: Yup, that usually does it. When you wet a dry carpet that had the cat pee odor, the cat pee odor is revived.

All of a sudden, no smell in neighbor's place but they continue to relentlessly pursue this lawsuit for damages. They are looking for every single trace of "cat" in my home and if they find any it is being classified as damage.

Yes, pets can cause damage. I am well aware of that and would correct any - as I have done. However, this is no less than victimization. What is my recourse?
**A: do you still have a cat(s)?

S

serenity99

HomeGuru said:
**A: do you still have a cat(s)?
One, and have fostered out the other. I want to sell this place anyway - and never ever buy another condo. I need about one year, though.

HomeGuru

serenity99 said:
One, and have fostered out the other. I want to sell this place anyway - and never ever buy another condo. I need about one year, though.

**A: Ok, peace, out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">