• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where can one file complaint against HOA??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nusias9

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Commom exterior brick wall damaged while association has failed to take actions to resolve. Causing major damage to condo. Walls, hardwood floors lost (entire room), mold, and it still leaks with each rain. All this damage has happened within such a short periord of time (Aug 18). Each rain fall causes more damage and I cannot stop the water flowing in. I have tried, as noted in my previous threads.

Insurance excludes seepage will not cover damages.

We spoke to an attorney and he advised that we wait just a bit longer, before filing for damages against our association. Reasons being that he want to give them every opportunity to resolve this matter. I think he wants to hit the two month marker then move forward.

I on the other hand I want to kick their ass right now for ignoring the fact that one room is no longer inhabited.

Are there any regulatory agencies where I can file a formal complaint of misconduct against my association? They denied our request to have a meeting to update/inform our community of the damage. Then after I tried to notify the other owners, I recieved an email stating that I was not allowed to speak to other owners regarding "your problem". It also said I was bothering them and clogging their box with my updates. I was angry as I only sent 4 emails over the past 5 weeks, with contractor proposal info regarding common wall. This is not against by-laws, and I was denied a meeting. This is truly unethical!!!!

Sorry about the new thread HG. Some person decided to post their threads on my original posting and I see you told them to stop. Thanks!!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

nusias9 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Commom exterior brick wall damaged while association has failed to take actions to resolve. Causing major damage to condo. Walls, hardwood floors lost (entire room), mold, and it still leaks with each rain. All this damage has happened within such a short periord of time (Aug 18). Each rain fall causes more damage and I cannot stop the water flowing in. I have tried, as noted in my previous threads.

Insurance excludes seepage will not cover damages.

We spoke to an attorney and he advised that we wait just a bit longer, before filing for damages against our association. Reasons being that he want to give them every opportunity to resolve this matter. I think he wants to hit the two month marker then move forward.

**A: then change attorney's and tell the new one to file the lawsuit by next week,
I on the other hand I want to kick their ass right now for ignoring the fact that one room is no longer inhabited.

**A: see above.
Are there any regulatory agencies where I can file a formal complaint of misconduct against my association? They denied our request to have a meeting to update/inform our community of the damage. Then after I tried to notify the other owners, I recieved an email stating that I was not allowed to speak to other owners regarding "your problem". It also said I was bothering them and clogging their box with my updates. I was angry as I only sent 4 emails over the past 5 weeks, with contractor proposal info regarding common wall. This is not against by-laws, and I was denied a meeting. This is truly unethical!!!!

**A: no since the HOA is private and not government regulated, you need to file a civil suit.

Sorry about the new thread HG. Some person decided to post their threads on my original posting and I see you told them to stop. Thanks!!
**A: if people don't listen to directions, you won't be seeing them on this website anymore.

nusias9

Hi HG,

Tell me what you think about the email I received from the HOA president.

I wanted to respond to your last paragraph from your 9/16 post. I have not written before now because I wanted to make sure I delivered a considered response.

You wrote:

QUOTE:
Lastly, can members of the association indicate whether they have (a) attempted and (b ) been successful in setting appointments with contractors. 121 Grand #1 has shown diligence, but ultimately the association is the entity responsible for execution of the tasks. We are happy to show you the damage to the outer wall and to common elements as seen from our unit to facilitate effective communication with contractors.

From your comments, I gathered that you expect someone else to assist you with the leak that is affecting your unit. However, you were not clear about whom you expected to help (the “association” is an entity, not a person, and as such is incapable of making phone calls) so I wanted to make sure your expectations were set appropriately. To that end, I would like to clarify the condo association’s responsibilities, and the responsibilities of its members. I hope that doing so will help us move forward and resolve the leak as quickly as possible. I also hope that this will be a good opportunity to formalize a procedure which this association has been using informally for at least several years, if not longer.

HomeGuru

nusias9 said:
Hi HG,

Tell me what you think about the email I received from the HOA president.

I wanted to respond to your last paragraph from your 9/16 post. I have not written before now because I wanted to make sure I delivered a considered response.

You wrote:

QUOTE:
Lastly, can members of the association indicate whether they have (a) attempted and (b ) been successful in setting appointments with contractors. 121 Grand #1 has shown diligence, but ultimately the association is the entity responsible for execution of the tasks. We are happy to show you the damage to the outer wall and to common elements as seen from our unit to facilitate effective communication with contractors.

From your comments, I gathered that you expect someone else to assist you with the leak that is affecting your unit. However, you were not clear about whom you expected to help (the “association” is an entity, not a person, and as such is incapable of making phone calls)

**A: hahaha, who is this idiot President trying to fool. The HOA as an entiry is comprised of elected individuals that serve as Board members. None of these board members knows how to make a telephone call? Not one single board member knows how to speak English?

so I wanted to make sure your expectations were set appropriately. To that end, I would like to clarify the condo association’s responsibilities, and the responsibilities of its members. I hope that doing so will help us move forward and resolve the leak as quickly as possible. I also hope that this will be a good opportunity to formalize a procedure which this association has been using informally for at least several years, if not longer.
**A: Ok, that's a start. Proceed and force them to move forward.

nusias9

Hi HG my Mentor!!!!!!!

Ok I stole your line and use it to reply to the HOA. I only copied two sections of the reply for the sole purpose of asking you if I have clearly stated my postion regarding repairs. These people as are idiots, as you have read, and do not take me serious.

Here is partion of my reply regarding actions to be taken on my part.

Please move forward in the best interest of the association. The association as an entiry is comprised of elected individuals that serve as board members, whom are capable of making calls to contractors.

24 hour notice is required and no entrance will be allowed between 2-4PM due to Hannah's nap location (after all my infant is displaced from her room).

In addition, it seems as though our previous communications failed to clarify that this has become a conflict of interest for us. As you are aware, we are still considering our option to seek damages. You have also stated that the association was going to seek damages to the common element. It would be advisable that the association as an entity, be represented throughout this project. Unit #1 has not and will not take actions on behalf of the association, any and all actions have been taken in an effort to prevent further damage to our home. In this particular situation, we must address a common element. Any action, outside of contacting contractors, is for the sole purpose of determining liability, duty to care, and negligence towards the responsible party causing damage to our unit.

HomeGuru

nusias9 said:
Hi HG my Mentor!!!!!!!

Ok I stole your line and use it to reply to the HOA. I only copied two sections of the reply for the sole purpose of asking you if I have clearly stated my postion regarding repairs. These people as are idiots, as you have read, and do not take me serious.

Here is partion of my reply regarding actions to be taken on my part.

Please move forward in the best interest of the association. The association as an entiry is comprised of elected individuals that serve as board members, whom are capable of making calls to contractors.

24 hour notice is required and no entrance will be allowed between 2-4PM due to Hannah's nap location (after all my infant is displaced from her room).

In addition, it seems as though our previous communications failed to clarify that this has become a conflict of interest for us. As you are aware, we are still considering our option to seek damages. You have also stated that the association was going to seek damages to the common element. It would be advisable that the association as an entity, be represented throughout this project. Unit #1 has not and will not take actions on behalf of the association, any and all actions have been taken in an effort to prevent further damage to our home. In this particular situation, we must address a common element. Any action, outside of contacting contractors, is for the sole purpose of determining liability, duty to care, and negligence towards the responsible party causing damage to our unit.
**A: time to hire an attorney. Then they take you seriously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">