• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 social security questions (suvivor benifits)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dogchopper

I live in Georgia and I have a question about benifits. First, My husband died recently and we applied for medicaid and social security. First we got the medicaid, then we got approved for the Social security. (I do not work and I have 2 small children) When I got my social security checks I was told to call and report them as income but that i would not loose my medicaid for one year. Well, I called and they inform me now that i have lost my medicaid. If I was working and made the money, I could keep my medicaid, but since its income from SSI I cant keep the medicaid???? This seems backwards.. If I'm working I have a possibility of getting insurance thru the employment. I dont have that thru SSI. I read somewhere that some statute or something 1611 says that some states allow you to keep your medicaid with the social security,but I cannot find out what states do that? Any ideas..

Next question.. My life insurance policy from my husbands death. I havent gotten it yet, but it should be coming shortly (hopefully) When I get this, am I going to loose both the Social security and the medicaid (If I get it back). If so, what can I do to avoid this? I was planning to use the money to buy a house so I had no mortgage to worry about??

Thanks,
Nancy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">