• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repossesed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Slinkey1981

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My problem is as follows,

In August of 2003, I had many financial problems which caused me to know that I could no longer afford to keep paying for my vehicle.

In September of 2003, I asked my Financing company to send me voluntary surrender paperwork.

In September of 2003, the company called me about a late payment, I told the phone rep that I knew the payment was late, and that I should be receiving Voluntary Surrender paperwork. She said she would be sure that it got to me.

In October of 2003, the company again called me, this time at work, about late payments for the last two months, once again I asked for voluntary surrender paperwork to be sent to my home address. This rep also said that they would be sure that it was sent, and that they would put a note in my "file".

In November and December of 2003 the same thing happened and I asked where the paperwork was. I was told that the paperwork would be sent shortly.

In January of 2004 I called the company, and asked about the paperwork and they said that they would fax it to the dealership where I picked up the car, so that I could pick it up the following Monday. The Saturday before the Monday in which I was supposed to finally get the paperwork, they sent 2 men to reposses the vehicle.

Today, Sept 20th at about 3:00pm I received a summons to appear in court on the 30th, the summons states that I have been contacted several times via mail, but refused to make any effort to resolve the matter.
I received no mail from the companies law firm, and the home address on the summons was wrong.

Is there anything that I can do about this, and what are the differences in Kansas regarding Repossesion and Voluntary Surrender.

racer72

Is there anything that I can do about this
Hire an attorney or start raising some cash.

what are the differences in Kansas regarding Repossesion and Voluntary Surrender.
There is no difference. You can still be held liable for any deficiency. And I have never heard of any creditors having "voluntary surrender paperwork."

S

Slinkey1981

racer72 said:
"I have never heard of any creditors having "voluntary surrender paperwork."
Then you have not heard of it, but for 6 months they said they would send it to me. I have never seen it, so, I wouldn't be able to expain what it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">