• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen vehicle recovered after insurance claim filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarioSanDiegoCA

I am a California resident whose car was recently stolen. The car was stolen in July, and my insurance started the recovery claim. Not all of my papers have been filed yet. According to my insurance agent, my claim would be processed if the car were not recovered after 30 days. Now, after 2 months and 10 days, my car has been recovered by police and is parked at a tow yard. Am I entitled to recover the claim from my insurance to pay for the car I have since purchased and still take possession of my stolen car since the title is still in my name?

damn that's a tough one. you can still use the claim for the new car you purchased but i doubt they'll let you do that AND keep the old one. ask the insurance agent about that.

is the car damaged? is there any reason why you would want that car after it's been stolen. that's like damaged goods to me....i wouldn't want the car anymore..but that's just me.

CdwJava

It has been my experience that once the insurance company pays off on the stolen car, the car belongs to them. If you purchased a new car before the paperwork was complete, you may be in a bind.

Contact your agent ASAP.

And like was previously mentioned, there is no way you will be allowed to keep the compensation AND the stolen car. Once they paid you for it, it's theirs.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">