• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shared driveway+more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vrti

What is the name of your state? VA

A survey was performed on our property in 1978. The survey showed that the eaves of the neighbor's garage was over our property. Our garage is two feet from the neighbor's garage and has an attached chain linked fence that runs parallel to the rear of the backyard. We also have a joint driveway with the neighbor. 25 years pass with a few different neighbors and no incidents....until...

My current neighbor verbally acknowledged that the roof of her garage hangs over our property and she verbally agreed the she didn't have to move her garage unless it sustained heavy damage, was torn down, or needed to be moved for any other reason. Recently married, her husband is crowding the driveway property line and has once parked a couple of inches onto our property, thus, blocking entrance into the driver-side of my car. I politely spoke to her about the issue and she agreed that he parked too far over. I thought the issue was over...until he blocked me a second time.

As a result, I'm thinking about putting a border/divider partially down the driveway (entrance access won't be blocked). This also made me think about the strip of land between the garages and perhaps I should move the fence in the back (he's been leaning stuff on it) over a couple of feet to the property line in accordance to the 78 survey.

Is the 1978 survey sufficient to use to define our property lines? Can I legally force my neighbor to move her garage now? Can I legally put a border/divider partially down the driveway, move the fence out back a couple of feet to the property line, and let her keep the garage where it currently is...all using the 1978 survey? If a current survey shows the same as the 78 survey, can I legally get her to move her garage?

It's obviously too late to have dealt with this back in 78....
**please excuse any spelling/grammar errors...thanks...

Last edited:

HomeGuru

vrti said:
What is the name of your state? VA

A survey was performed on our property in 1978. The survey showed that the eaves of the neighbor's garage was over our property. Our garage is two feet from the neighbor's garage and has an attached chain linked fence that runs parallel to the rear of the backyard. We also have a joint driveway with the neighbor. 25 years pass with a few different neighbors and no incidents....until...

My current neighbor verbally acknowledged that the roof of her garage hangs over our property and she verbally agreed the she didn't have to move her garage unless it sustained heavy damage, was torn down, or needed to be moved for any other reason. Recently married, her husband is crowding the driveway property line and has once parked a couple of inches onto our property, thus, blocking entrance into the driver-side of my car. I politely spoke to her about the issue and she agreed that he parked too far over. I thought the issue was over...until he blocked me a second time.

As a result, I'm thinking about putting a border/divider partially down the driveway (entrance access won't be blocked). This also made me think about the strip of land between the garages and perhaps I should move the fence in the back (he's been leaning stuff on it) over a couple of feet to the property line in accordance to the 78 survey.

Is the 1978 survey sufficient to use to define our property lines? Can I legally force my neighbor to move her garage now? Can I legally put a border/divider partially down the driveway, move the fence out back a couple of feet to the property line, and let her keep the garage where it currently is...all using the 1978 survey? If a current survey shows the same as the 78 survey, can I legally get her to move her garage?

It's obviously too late to have dealt with this back in 78....
**please excuse any spelling/grammar errors...thanks...
**A: you may move the fence and install the border along your property line but you should order a current survey first to make sure of the property lines.
You may keep her garage encroachment and should have an encroachment agreement.

V

vrti

HomeGuru said:
**A: you may move the fence and install the border along your property line but you should order a current survey first to make sure of the property lines.
You may keep her garage encroachment and should have an encroachment agreement.
Thanks for the reply HomeGuru. I will look up a surveyor, research info for an encroachment agreement, and talk to my neighbor and let her know of my intentions. Hopefully all will go well....

Thanks

HomeGuru

vrti said:
Thanks for the reply HomeGuru. I will look up a surveyor, research info for an encroachment agreement, and talk to my neighbor and let her know of my intentions. Hopefully all will go well....

Thanks

**A: ok, post back if you need anymore help. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">