• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Claim Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelibeanz

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
This will probably be long, but I need advice on what my options are:
On July 24th as myself and my fiance were returning from vacation we were involved in an accident. we were travelling down an interstate in pennsylvania, either a tractor trailer or pick up started losing freight from its truck, suddenly large metal items were flying through the air, causing several cars to crash, when all was said and done, 6 cars stopped, unfortunatly for us the car that him me never stopped. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured. The truck that caused this accident by losing its contents, never stopped, and was never located.
My 2003 elantra suffered quite a bit of damage and had to be towed from the scene. I had to report the claim to Metlife, my own insurance company being that i could not go after anyone else. This was the beginning of my nightmare. Metlife advised me that they would send an appraiser to the towing location, which they did within 3 days. I advised metlife I would want the car towed to my own body shop. (the accident was about 75 miles from where I live). Claims rep called me back to say fine, but I would be responsible for the cost to have the car towed to the shop of my choice, but that if I wanted to have the car brough to one of their direct repair facilities I would not be charged this additional fee. This sounded wrong to me, but rep insisted, and after checking the prices to have the car towed at my expense, I agreed to there direct repair shop. after repairs had begun I learned that the car was towed to a shop another 1.5 hours away from the accident scene, now making it nearly 3 hours from my home. In addition, I then learned I had the right to have the car towed to my shop of choice all along, and that my claims rep misinformed me to begin with.
Then because my fiance was the driver of the car at the time of the accident, Metlife immediatly added him to my insurance policy. I pay my metlife bill through payroll deduction, 1 week after the accidne they started taking 3x as much money from my payroll. Afer several phone calls I fianlly learned that not only did they add the fiance to my policy, they added him as a male driver under the age of 21, charging me the highest rate tier. I explained to Metlife that my fiance is 52 years old, and that he has his own car with his own insurance. They had me fax them the information, his drilers liciense and policy. It took them 3.5 weeks to take him off my policy. In the meantime they deducted several hundred dollars from my payroll. I have been sent six new policy bills since july 24th all reflecting different prices, when I have made no changes to my policy. the most recent bill shows my rates to be 800 dollars higher than before my accident, and they insist this is correct. I was not at fault for this accident, nor was my fiance, but I am getting nowhere with metlife. They have made this a horrible experience. I have made a complaint to the insurance commision in my state, but so far have not heard anything back on my investigation. I have my car back, it still needs some repairs that they did not correct at the body shop metlife sent my car to, according to claims rep, i can take the car back to this repair shop to have car fixed, but as i mentioned earlier they are three hours away from me. Please help what can I do. Did I mention that $6300 repair made to my new car was done with after market parts. I have been told by a car salesman friend of mine that my car has nearly no trade in or resale value because the carfax report will show this extensive damage, amking it very difficult to sell. I am at my wits end, I feel defeated by my insurance company. I am wanting to know if I have a legal case against them. Please help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">