• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone shed some light on this situation, please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ArtsyGirl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a graphic artist and have been designing images, graphics and websets for the public for about a year now. I run a message board where members of that network can come to me and request personalized and custom graphics to use in their signature lines on these message boards.

I have a set of pre-made "sample" graphics that represent some of my work. These samples are highly unlikely to be suitable for immediate use by anyone, therefore needing personalization.

I came across a message board last night where a woman was using one of my sample graphics without permission. When I emailed her, she told me that her friend and fellow board member made it for her. I checked the properties of the image and the file name extension is identical to the distinct name that I placed on my own graphic.

The friend who claimed to have made it exchanged some heated emails with me, in which she claimed that she emailed me months ago and received permission. However, she cannot produce this email.

I am furious, as you can imagine. I spend hours creating my graphics and I even personalize unlimited pre-made graphics for FREE (which is why I can't understand why she would have just snagged it without at least having it personalized for her friend), and I offer the first custom made graphic for free.

This morning I also discovered that this person is using custom buttons I designed for another woman's website - buttons that this woman paid for.

I'm not very sure where to go from here. This person acts like she's done nothing wrong and isn't even the least bit apologetic. Do you have any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

J

J. Michael

"I'm not very sure where to go from here."

Register your work through the Copyright Office. http://www.copyright.gov

Be polite and explain to the webmasters that it is your art, not put in the public domain. If that doesn't work...
Send some DMCA notices. http://www.learnaboutlaw.com/learnaboutDMCA.htm
If that doesn't work, provided you can prove it is your art, sue. They may have an innocent infringement defense. Put a conspicuous notice on your site that says you retain all rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">