• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my neighbor pay for half of the fence cost?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Max68

What is the name of your state?Ohio
One day I asked my neighbor to trim his willow tree hanging over onto my property so that it wouldn't interfere when I cut the grass underneath it. He totally ignored my request. I know I that I have every right to trim it myself.
He is noisy when he cuts his grass. He could spend almost an entire day cutting his grass when he could do it in 2 hours.
He trepassed onto my property 2 ft by connecting a drain tile to a storm pipe which runs 5 ft below my property.He damaged substantially a large area of my grass when he dogged the hole for the pipe and even drove his truck over it. His backyard has been a total mess for the past 2 1/2 years with weeds overgrown over an open ditch and deposits of all kinds next to his garage adiacent to mine. When I finally confronted him he showed his temper and provoked me to fight him.I filed a complaint with the building department and pressed charges against him for his violent behavior. He is also harrassing me by sending me over the animal control (twice so far) because of my cat running at large on my property! the ordinance states that cats have to be confined or can't saty outside, not even on my porch with me being present.
I am going to handle this whole nightmare though small claim court.
I am thinking of installing a wood fence now beacuse of my neighor's irrisponsible actions. Can I hold my neighbor liable for 1/2 of the cost of the fence? I would have never thought of having a fence unti this whole ordeal started. But it seem to be the right solution for now since I am not planning to move any time soon.Thanks for any help.

HomeGuru

Max68 said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio
One day I asked my neighbor to trim his willow tree hanging over onto my property so that it wouldn't interfere when I cut the grass underneath it. He totally ignored my request. I know I that I have every right to trim it myself.
He is noisy when he cuts his grass. He could spend almost an entire day cutting his grass when he could do it in 2 hours.
He trepassed onto my property 2 ft by connecting a drain tile to a storm pipe which runs 5 ft below my property.He damaged substantially a large area of my grass when he dogged the hole for the pipe and even drove his truck over it. His backyard has been a total mess for the past 2 1/2 years with weeds overgrown over an open ditch and deposits of all kinds next to his garage adiacent to mine. When I finally confronted him he showed his temper and provoked me to fight him.I filed a complaint with the building department and pressed charges against him for his violent behavior. He is also harrassing me by sending me over the animal control (twice so far) because of my cat running at large on my property! the ordinance states that cats have to be confined or can't saty outside, not even on my porch with me being present.
I am going to handle this whole nightmare though small claim court.
I am thinking of installing a wood fence now beacuse of my neighor's irrisponsible actions. Can I hold my neighbor liable for 1/2 of the cost of the fence? I would have never thought of having a fence unti this whole ordeal started. But it seem to be the right solution for now since I am not planning to move any time soon.Thanks for any help.
**A: no, you build the fence solely on your property and at your cost. Do not involve the neighbor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">