• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shot... twice... labor day weekend.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pstegner

I'm in pennsylvania....

I'm not exactly sure where I should actually place this... so hopefully I put it in the right place being here... anyhow heres what happen....

Labor day weekend, my sisters ex boyfriend went nuts, broke into my house while I was not around, stole my dads gun, and waited outside for my sister and I to return home... upon returning home, he opened fire and hit my sister in the leg, me in the arm and the back... we both are physically kinda fine... we're both alive, and both moving around as normal as can be expected... the guys in jail, following a 16 hour man hunt which ended in town they had to use tear gas and flash gernades... now... i know i have a civil suit against him... but....

early that night... rough estimate about an hour before we got shot... my sister was hanging out with some friends at a local bar... he called her cell phone... she couldnt get reception... so she went outside, where he was waiting for her... he roughed her up... put bruises on her body... and when the cops finally arrived on the scene... he was in his vehicle, in the drivers side with the engine running... he was also extremely intoxicated... he couldnt walk a straight line if his life depended on it... However the cop on duty and in charge decided to let him go, the other cop that was there with him that night, I guess got into a little debate with him over the matter... anyway... i got a call for me to go pick up my sister, when asked what happened she explained the situation to me, and i went to pick her up, by the time i got there, the cops have all but left, and the person who shot us wasnt there either, she showed me the marks on her body... when i asked what the cops did, she said they didnt do anything... so we went looking for a cop, after finding a cop, she showed him the bruises, and he told us to go home and call 911, and an emergency judge would call us back and we could put a pfa on him until tuesday at 8 am... however... that call was never placed because we both was shot....

Now, from what I'm being told... that night should've never taken place... from what i'm being told... he should've been taken to jail on one of several charges... DUI, seeing as how he was behind the wheel of an automobile with the engine running, public drunkeness, disorderly conduct, and/or hitting my sister... the cop in charge that night let him go as a result... i now have 4 holes in my body... a fragment of the bullet still in my arm... i can't sleep at night, and im afraid of the dark now... sleeping? that hasnt really happened in darn near 2 weeks... everyone keeps telling me i should press charges against the cop and/or city for which the cop works... do i have a case?

enjay

Are there any witnesses (who would be willing to come forward) to the incident that happened at the bar?

pstegner

yeah there are witnesses... my sister, her 2 friends, the people at the bar, and the lady who was tending bar that night... i'd say atleast 3 of them would be willing to come forward... the lady that was tending bar that night, my sisters one friend, and another from the bar... quite possibly the other rookie police officer that was there...

JETX

pstegner said:
do i have a case?
Possibly, but in my opinion, probably not.
The reason: The issues you raise (DUI, public drunkeness, disorderly conduct, and/or hitting my sister) do not REQUIRE arrest and incarceration. There are circumstances where they can be 'simple' citation offenses. It is purely a judgment call by the on-scene officers. Do you know EXACTLY what they did, if anything??
You are viewing this in hindsight after KNOWING the results. The officers didn't have that liberty.

By all means, file a complaint with the police agency. Heck, you can even talk with a local attorney and ask him to review the matter. But don't start spending any settlment yet.

pstegner

they said "call your sister and get a ride home"... even though my sister was bruised and battered, they cop that had the juridisction said "call your sister and get a ride home"... you know, even if i dont have ac ase... im kinda thankful that i got shot... for the simple fact that if it didnt happen the way it did... i'd be the one in jail right now... not him, because my main mind set was to go beat the living day lights out of him.

Last edited:

pstegner

need more advice...

I"m asking for your help one more time... I have decided that I do wish to speak to a lawyer about what happened to me... but which type of lawyer do I turn too for help?

Happy Trails

pstegner said:
I"m asking for your help one more time... I have decided that I do wish to speak to a lawyer about what happened to me... but which type of lawyer do I turn too for help?
PI means personal injury attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">