• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contactor sued without a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SBralley

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was sued by a contractor without a contract. We had this guy build and
addition and carport to our home. The estimated cost was $24,000.00.
We had paid $12,000.00, in July in mentioned he needed to go to Iowa to
see his daughter. He asked for another $6,000.00, we refused and asked him to order the materials he needed we would pay for them and have them delivered to the home. He refused, saying that was not the way he did business and if that was how we wanted it, he was done. He filed a lawsuit
on August 3, 2004, and removed himself from the permit on August 11, 2004.
The addition on the home was not completed, all of the drywall had not been
hung, and there was several items that had not been completed. Nothing had been started on the carport. We had not had a final structural or final electrical inspection. We hired someone else to complete the job. He completed the entire project for $4,265.00. The contractor stated in mediation yesterday he had receipts for a little over $6,000.00. He has been
paid $12,000.00. Does he have any ground to stand on, with no contract,
can't either party end and oral or verbal agreement at any time? He was the
one who left the job, and removed himself from the permit.

S

SBralley

Contractor with no contract

SBralley said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I was sued by a contractor without a contract. We had this guy build and
addition and carport to our home. The estimated cost was $24,000.00.
We had paid $12,000.00, in July in mentioned he needed to go to Iowa to
see his daughter. He asked for another $6,000.00, we refused and asked him to order the materials he needed we would pay for them and have them delivered to the home. He refused, saying that was not the way he did business and if that was how we wanted it, he was done. He filed a lawsuit
on August 3, 2004, and removed himself from the permit on August 11, 2004.
The addition on the home was not completed, all of the drywall had not been
hung, and there was several items that had not been completed. Nothing had been started on the carport. We had not had a final structural or final electrical inspection. We hired someone else to complete the job. He completed the entire project for $4,265.00. The contractor stated in mediation yesterday he had receipts for a little over $6,000.00. He has been
paid $12,000.00. Does he have any ground to stand on, with no contract,
can't either party end and oral or verbal agreement at any time? He was the
one who left the job, and removed himself from the permit. He is suing me for $5000.00 plust court costs saying I basically breached the contract by not giving him the other $6,000.00. He wanted to end the contract I think by not allowing me to purchase the materials, so I could see a good faith effort on his part that he was not going to leave and go to Iowa.

Last edited:

JETX

SBralley said:
Does he have any ground to stand on, with no contract,
can't either party end and oral or verbal agreement at any time?
No one can answer your question since you provided NO information about the claims he made in his lawsuit.
However, it appears that a part of your defense is that there wasn't a contract and, of course, that is not true. There clearly was a contract.... a verbal one. With that, depending on the specifics of his claim, he may or may not win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">