• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did major book publisher violate copyright laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenjam

What is the name of your state? FL

I am a publisher of an online magazine. One of my editors wrote an article about a book that was recently published. It was a Q&A interview with the author. I didn't buy any rights to her work. In fact, she still owns the copyright for the article.

The book author's publisher, which is a leading national book publisher, took an excerpt from the article and placed it on the cover for a second printing without getting a signed contract or even letting her know that they were using it. We just happened to stumble upon the new cover on the Net and found out that way.

Some are saying that the publisher violated her copyright. Others are saying that since the excerpt is under 400 words that it falls under Fair Use.

Any insight would be most helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">