• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way I can sue and win?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nitrocl

I live in the state of NJ, and I let a ex-friend borrow $2500. He has paid me $400 of the $2500. I have tried to contact him and his phone is disconnected as well as his work phone. It has been a year since this money was owed. Is there any way that I could get the money back in court considering this is a verbal agreement for a loan? I do have a witness that was there at the time the money was loaned out. The source of the funds is from a loan that I am currently still paying back.

You Are Guilty

Sure there's a chance but at a minimum, you're going to have to figure out where he is in order to serve him with the court papers. Otherwise, check out your local small claims court - it's meant to be used in exactly these kinds of situations.

N

nitrocl

I found where he is now living. What do I need to do to get him served and documents ie proof that I will need in court to win?

You Are Guilty

You'll need all documentation surrounding the loan (cancelled checks, emails, contracts, witnesses, whatever you have). As far as serving him, go to the small claims court clerk, fill out the paperwork, and they should offer you the option of having the court take care of the service for a small fee (usually like $5).

Caveat to all this: Applies only to a defendant in the same state as yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">