• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenage mother's authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brianbob

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?GA
If a teenage mother takes her child to a clinic for medical services, can she legaly give consent for medical procedures for the baby? If not, who can.

B

Brianbob

I just needed to know the answer to this question. Seeing as how she needs to have her parents give consent to her own treatment.

CdwJava

If the mother is under 18 ... hmmm ... that's actually a good question. And while it may SEEM logical to assume that the mother could consent to the legal procedure, this may not be the case in every state unless the mother is also emancipated.

I believe that in CA the mother of the child can consent to a medical procedure even if mom is a minor ... unless she has lost legal authority over the child. But, I am not 100% certain.

A call to your local hospital or doctor's office could probably settle that one pretty quickly.

- Carl

B

Brianbob

The reason I pose this question is that I work in a pediatric clinic. I will try calling a Hospital. Thanks for the response.

BelizeBreeze

From the Medical Association of Georgia:

In Georgia, a person under age 18 is considered a minor and generally may not consent to their own medical treatment without authorization from a parent, guardian or custodian. There are exceptions to this rule. In an emergency, the physician should try to obtain consent from a minor’s parent or surrogate, whenever possible; if that consent is obtained from a surrogate, then it should be documented.

Minors may consent to their own treatment in several situations, including when a married minor consents to treatment for him/herself and for his/her spouse, when a minor parent consents to treatment for his/her own minor child, and when a minor treats for his/her own venereal disease, drug abuse or any illness arising from these.

Special attention should be given, when a female patient treats for pregnancy, the prevention of pregnancy or childbirth. In these circumstances, treatment may be rendered regardless of age or marital status. However, particular attention should be paid to specific Georgia laws not discussed here that address the consent requirements for sterilization and abortion procedures.

And from the Georgia Code:

31-9-1. THROUGH 31-9-7.

31-9-1.

This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the 'Georgia Medical Consent Law.'

31-9-2.

(a) In addition to such other persons as may be authorized and empowered, any one of the following persons is authorized and empowered to consent, either orally or otherwise, to any surgical or medical treatment or procedures not prohibited by law which may be suggested, recommended, prescribed, or directed by a duly licensed physician:

(2) In the absence or unavailability of a living spouse, any parent, whether an adult or a minor, for his minor child;

BelizeBreeze

Glad to help Bob. You might want to make your management aware of the laws and suggest your corporate attorney have a sit-down with everyone to keep them up to date.

C

confused2006

arkansas

I know that answer for a fact since i have a child yes the mother can do it but also anyone she gives permission to with a note or a call just as long as that person has permission then that is fine.

CdwJava

confused2006 said:
arkansas

I know that answer for a fact since i have a child yes the mother can do it but also anyone she gives permission to with a note or a call just as long as that person has permission then that is fine.
But, you have to keep in mind that each state has different laws. Not all states will operate the same way. I have had to respond to the hospital to place juveniles under temporary wardship in order for medical staff to treat them when no parent or guardian has been present to treat a minor for a non-critical - yet painful - situation.

So it's certainly no guarnatee that they are al the same. Though it would not surprise me to find that they are all similar to the rules posted for GA.

- Carl

BelizeBreeze

also anyone she gives permission to with a note or a call just as long as that person has permission then that is fine.
And that would be DANGEROUSLY wrong. There is no provision in Georgia law except for a legal guardian, parent or other legal representative of the child. Simply giving permission, IN THIS POSTER'S QUESTION, has no legal standing.

C

confused2006

tennage mother's authority

arkansas

well your right all laws are different but my aunt lives in georgia and she just happened to tell me that law but i really don't know this guys stituation at all but i was just telling you what i know and BeilzeBreeze or whatever you don't have to get an attitude

BelizeBreeze

confused2006 said:
arkansas

well your right all laws are different but my aunt lives in georgia and she just happened to tell me that law but i really don't know this guys stituation at all but i was just telling you what i know and BeilzeBreeze or whatever you don't have to get an attitude
Oh sweetcheeks I will cop an attitude anytime someone comes here and posts WRONG information that could get the poster and anyone else reading it into legal trouble.

Did you even bother to read the entire thread before responding? I doubt it, because I didn't post opinion. The post was Georgia LAW, taken from Georgia Revised Statutes (2004).

Your mother needs to either go to law school or learn to read. Because what she told you is WRONG!

BelizeBreeze

And just in case you're not some idiot who just comes here to play adult but actually like to LEARN something, click on the following link and read it thoroughly.

HIPPA

C

confused2006

teenage mother's authority

thank you so much and i'm not an idot either and it wasn't my mother either it was my aunt and she is a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">