• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mip?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xxCRAZYJHATTxx

What is the name of your state? California

I recently just recieved an Minor in possession and was wondering what type of actions I should take. Whether I should get a lawyer or just plead guilty in front of the judge. This is my first ever misdemeanor and at the time of the incident, the cop never brought up the issue of me being intoxicated. I plan to use these facts and similar ones for my case hoping they will help me reduce the consequences. Any advice!

Happy Trails

xxCRAZYJHATTxx said:

I recently just recieved an Minor in possession and was wondering what type of actions I should take. Whether I should get a lawyer or just plead guilty in front of the judge. This is my first ever misdemeanor and at the time of the incident, the cop never brought up the issue of me being intoxicated. I plan to use these facts and similar ones for my case hoping they will help me reduce the consequences. Any advice!
Need more info. What you were in possession of and amount.

CdwJava

xxCRAZYJHATTxx said:

Are you a juvenile (as in under 18) and what section were you cited for?

There are state laws covering a minor in possession of alcohol, and municipal codes.

However, being intoxicated is NOT required for a minor being in possesion in CA. With few exceptions, simply being in possession of (or having dominion and control over) the container - open or closed - is sufficient.

What were the circumstances?

- Carl

CdwJava

Happy Trails said:
Carl, unless he made a mistake posting under the wrong forum, it appears to be some sort of drug possession.
In CA the there is a crime of "minor in possession" but it refers solely to alcohol. If it were drugs, it would be the same as an adult - we don't differentiate between the two.

He also refers to the cop not showing he was intoxicated, so I am thinking he is referring to alcohol.

But! Ya never know! :)

EDIT: Ah! Yeah, I think he DID post under the wrong forum.

- Carl

Last edited:
X

xxCRAZYJHATTxx

Sorry about the little amount of info but the Minor in possession i received was for alcohol. What happened was that i was just putting the 40 down when the cops came from behind and caught me. I am 19 years old and like i said before, i have the cleanest record and have no misdemeanors or felonies.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

xxCRAZYJHATTxx said:

the cop never brought up the issue of me being intoxicated. I plan to use these facts and similar ones for my case hoping they will help me reduce the consequences.

My response:

Yeah, that's an excellent defense.

Tell the judge that the cop didn't give you a sobriety test even though you were drunk off your ass. That should get the case dismissed.

IAAL

P.S. Your middle name isn't Dufus, is it?

TYRIS

xxCRAZYJHATTxx said:
Sorry about the little amount of info but the Minor in possession i received was for alcohol. What happened was that i was just putting the 40 down when the cops came from behind and caught me. I am 19 years old and like i said before, i have the cleanest record and have no misdemeanors or felonies.

-You're probably looking at a fine and Summary Probation for the MIP: however, in California you can also have your driver's license suspended until your 21 for a MIP.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">