• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Book vs. Scan copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kev_nm

What is the name of your state? NM

There's a website that has scanned the pages of an old book and posted them. The notice at the bottom of the website states "Website & Contents Copyright © 2000 - 2002 [Name of owners]". I have the same book and want to input it into a document and post/sell it as a pdf file on the web. Am I violating any copyrights?

Thanks,

Kevin

Assuming...

Assuming the original copy right for the original author/publisher has expired, then the web site you mention only holds a copy right on their web pages and not on the original content.

IMHO, you should be able to scan and create a PDF and put it on your own copyrighted web site.

But...since he who has the money usually wins in court...you might want to check this out with a real lawyere...

J

J. Michael

There's a website that has scanned the pages of an old book and posted them. The notice at the bottom of the website states "Website & Contents Copyright © 2000 - 2002 [Name of owners]".
Their copyright applies to any original content on the website just as it would to any other website.

Some may believe that scanning PD material creates a copyright on the scans themselves. Courts have strongly indicated otherwise.

I have the same book and want to input it into a document and post/sell it as a pdf file on the web. Am I violating any copyrights?
Provided the book was published before 1923 (or not renewed) no, you are not violating any copyrights. (Even if the scans had a valid copyright, you may use your own vintage copy as you please.)

K

kev_nm

Replies

Thank you for responding. I appreciate the information.

Kevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">