• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Disabity/SSD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stressed out 46

:confused: What is the name of your state?Florida
Who can I turn to for help on Long Term Disability insurance that does not want to pay. I am a Florida resident and am dealing with the stress of yet another Hurricane and my LTD Insurance Co. threatening to stop in October.

The policy reads that if I am approved for psychological, I am covered for 2 years which they did approve me for psychological.

As I had four major surgeries at one time, I did not recover from the surgeries in time to return to work, which my company sent me a certified letter stating that it would be a voluntary resignation, and I began LTD in Oct 2002. October 2003.

I became severely depressed prior to my surgery as my Administrator was trying to get me to resign prior to the surgery. He would counsel me every Friday just as I was going to leave for the weekend. Worrying about surgery and my position with the company, I became very depressed before surgery and went out on medical leave prior to surgery July 26th 2002. I was scheduled for surgery August 10, 2002, but was postponed until September 18.2002.

I had short term disability and then LTD began in October 24th 2002. I waited several months before they would approve me they said they would pay me until I was approved but if I did not meet the criteria I would have to pay them the money back. Several months passed and I was approved for psychological problems. My policy for LTD is only coverage on psycholigcal for to years and medical coverage is to age 65.

I began to ask them to review my approval for medical which would cover me through age 65. I have complied with all the forms from my doctors, who suggested I get in touch with you. They think my insurance CO. Unum Provident is playing games with me.

Please, Please help me. I need a whole new spine and have Osteo arthritis in my hands which prevents me from using my thumbs and index fingers.

I was told by Unum provident to apply for Social Security Disability which I did in October 2003. They (Unum) told me to use their company Genex and that Genex would act as my attorney.

I was informed that Unum would pass this info onto Genex and Genex would be getting in touch with me.They (Unum) explained I would be denied the first time and to send them (Unum) the denial, which I did.

Unum never forwarded the denial to Genex in time to appeal. They (Genex) dropped the ball and never reapplied in time for the appeal. They had 60 days to appeal to SSD.

They have finally re applied for me. I contacted Genex in Feburary and they finally applied for me to SSD in April of 2004. It has been 6 months since Genex reapplied to Social Security Disability.

So, you see I complied to everything that was required by them to handle this claim. And now I had to start all over again with SSD.

Unum Provident keeps telling me each time I call to inquire what the status is of changing approval from psychological to medical, they tell me it is on the DR and Clinicians desk and that they are looking at my file. How long will it take, they can't tell me that.
This last time they were given the file it has been given to the DR's and clinicians on 8/25/04.

My Doctors are fed up, they are tired of filling out forms for this Unum Provident, they also don't send them to the DR's all at once they are sent in dribs and drabs. How many times must my DR's take time out to handle my file to fill forms out for this company.

My husband also disabled, was in a serious accident 15 ton forklift ran him over from his feet to his head and has been disabled since 1990. Now, I am unable to work. Life sometimes just isn't fair, but what is....... Please give me some advice. I am beside myself and now it looks like another Hurricane is headed this way. I just cant take anymore you are my LAST HOPE.

In Gratitude,
stressed out 46

Unum Provident 800-451-8464
GENEX 866-556-6788

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">