• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Parking ticket for a car I sold a year ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

in_pickle

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I sold my car to a guy about a year ago, but could not remove my plates right away due to rust on the screws. That guy said he would get it removed (and I think he did remove them eventually) but he got a street cleaning parking ticket in the mean time. I had Ohio license plates on the car when I sold it, but I sold the car in Illinois. So City of Chicago sent the ticket over to my permenant address in Ohio. But the sad part is that this ticket was given back in Oct of 2003 and I did not know about it till July of 2004 (when the current owners of my old address in Ohio found me) The most recent notice that I have with me says it is too late for anyone to contest the ticket and the guy who bought the car from me has left the country (he was from South America).

How can I get the ticket written off? The City of Chicago claims that since the car had my Ohio license plates when the ticket was given, I am responsible for it. I got the title transferred to the new owner at a State Secretary's office and have proof of the sale. What should I do now?
Thanks.

In a Pickle.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

in_pickle said:
How can I get the ticket written off? The City of Chicago claims that since the car had my Ohio license plates when the ticket was given, I am responsible for it. I got the title transferred to the new owner at a State Secretary's office and have proof of the sale. What should I do now?
Thanks.
Pay the ticket. You're still on the hook. (Had you taken the plates off like you were supposed to, you wouldn't be liable.) Your paperwork might be able to get you out of the late fees and interest, but even that's iffy.

In a Pickle.
Better than a pickle in you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">