• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged check - False Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevin75

What is the name of your state? CA

I helped my friend as he asked for money($4000.00) for his marriage expenses. As a Collateral I received a post dated check from him and gave him that amount as a check . He cashed it. After that he was in touch with me and saying some excuses that he is in a money crunch, so he need more time to pay back. I was accepting and believing him that he had some real problem. After a while I have not received any calls from him. I tried to call him, he was not returning my calls. I left several voice mails and sent number of emails. I finally got his office phone number and called him. He picks up the phone and just hangs up on me after hearing my voice. Not once several times he hangup on me.

Now I realize that he is running away from me. I dont want to be fooled, so went and deposited that check I got as Collateral in my bank. The funds got transfered. I received the money in my account.

After 2 weeks my bank calls me and said there is a complaint failed against me that the check was forged. The payee bank wants the money back from my bank and also the payee bank wants to speak to me.

I didnot do any thing wrong. Do I need to look for a lawyer? Do I need to prove that the check came from him only? Is it advisable to make a lawyer speak to the payee bank instead of me handling the call.

How much these things going to cost me. Who will bear the expenses.

Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">