• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud!!! Am I screwed??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jondalar

What is the name of your state? CA

I've got a really confusing problem here.

* I broke up with my girlfriend last year. At that time I gave her back the wedding ring she bought me for when-we-got-married and I also let her keep the engagement ring.

* I have an Ebay account that I've never used. I have 0 feedback and I honestly forgot I had it at all. I didn't do anything with this Ebay account, so I never signed up with Paypal.

Fast forward to the other day: I got an email saying Congratulations, You won this ring. Huh? So I go and see what happened and it's my ex's account selling my when-we-got-married wedding ring to my Ebay account!! I look and I see that it's already been paid through a Paypal account in my name and, what more, the balance has been taken out of my savings account!! So I emailed her and asked what the hell had she done?!?! She forwarded me a ton of emails back and forth from her email address to mine, and from mine to hers!! These talked all about how "I" noticed the ring for sale, and how much "I" loved the ring and wanted it back, and her agreeing to sell it to "me," and arrangements, and price negotiations, "me" receiving and loving the ring, reminiscing on good times (yeah right!!), etc. etc... there's like 50 emails back and forth! She says I "can't back out on our 'deal' because [she] has all this proof that ['I'] bought it." Has she got me screwed? I emailed Ebay, but I haven't heard back yet... I also called my bank and they're "investigating." What can I do??

Jon

BelizeBreeze

Call your ISP and have them audit your account for all e-mail traffic. It will show from where the e-mails originated, regardless of the account.

jondalar

babymakesone said:
Also change ALL of your passwords to something that she would not be able to figure out.
I've done this countless times. I've even cleaned a bunch of Trojan Horses off of my computer that I think she put there and was using. Basically if I have an account anywhere, she has my info in a day or two! :mad:

BelizeBreeze said:
Call your ISP and have them audit your account for all e-mail traffic. It will show from where the e-mails originated, regardless of the account.
My ISP was kind enough to fax me over a list of IP adresses from my account access. The IP that was used when these emails were supposedly sent by me is not my home computer, but it isn't her work or home computer either. My email provider is one that you can log on from any computer, so she could have gone to the library or something. The bank says there isn't anything they can do. Basically as far as they know I could be having buyers remorse! :mad: They said to talk to Ebay. Ebay however, sent a really stupid and useless customer complaint form letter. Is there any way to pin this on her? Resonable suspicion? IP adresses that weren't mine (but weren't any of hers that I know of)? Aside from a confession from her, what can I do to prove it and get my money back??

Thank you
Jon

Last edited:
N

nicolia

Call PayPal and tell them your account was used by someone else. Also tell them to close the account and disengage from your bank.

jondalar

nicolia said:
Call PayPal and tell them your account was used by someone else. Also tell them to close the account and disengage from your bank.
Ok. I just filed a report with Paypal. But what about

* Is there any way to pin this on her?
* Resonable suspicion?
* IP adresses that weren't mine (but weren't any of hers that I know of)?
* Aside from a confession from her, what can I do to prove it and get my money back??
* What will Paypal do to investigate?

Thank you tons
Jon

Happy Trails

jondalar said:
Ok. I just filed a report with Paypal. But what about

* Is there any way to pin this on her?
* Resonable suspicion?
* IP adresses that weren't mine (but weren't any of hers that I know of)?
* Aside from a confession from her, what can I do to prove it and get my money back??
* What will Paypal do to investigate?

Thank you tons
Jon
Where did paypal send the money?

jondalar

Happy Trails said:
Where did paypal send the money?
They sent it to my ex's email address.

It looks like a normal transaction between us, except that I never authorized it, AND I never had a Paypal account before.

Thank you
Jon

Last edited:

jondalar

Hi... I'm not able to get an answer from my bank or Paypal on this. I don't know what to do! Please help me.

How much did she get you for? Did she ever do her actual confession in email? She is obviously a computer savvy person, what email address did she use for paypal? was it yours? Did she change the passwords to ebay and paypal? If she did they send YOU a notice saying if you did not change this password contact ebay/paypal immediately. I had someone use my name in ebay and list a sewing machine and the only reason I found out was that password change email, and email address change email. Check with ebay, they keep track of the IP addy that changes these passwords/email addy..the reply/confirmation email states the IP addy that changed all. Good luck!

jondalar

novembersea said:
How much did she get you for?
The ring was $1000

novembersea said:
Did she ever do her actual confession in email?
No. She talks about it like it actually happened. "Well you bought this ring, and I have all this email communication between us proving it..."

novembersea said:
She is obviously a computer savvy person,
She's a hacker

novembersea said:
what email address did she use for paypal? was it yours?
For me, she used mine. For hers, hers.

novembersea said:
Did she change the passwords to ebay and paypal?
No. She figured out my passwords (I have since changed them... again). She signed me up for the Paypal account.

novembersea said:
If she did they send YOU a notice saying if you did not change this password contact ebay/paypal immediately.
No such luck...

novembersea said:
Check with ebay, they keep track of the IP addy that changes these passwords/email addy..the reply/confirmation email states the IP addy that changed all.
This doesn't apply as she didn't change any passwords, so I didn't know she was accessing my accounts. I DID talk to Ebay, and they said it was Paypal's problem.

novembersea said:
Good luck!
Thank you... :(

Last edited:
Well I am at a loss, she is obviously a bitter person who cannot move on. My ex still pulls that stuff after 3.5 years. Did ebay or paypal ever get back to you? File a complaint saying you never got the merchandise and you want a refund! lol...it might work!

Send her professional emails stating you have never recieved the item, or that the item was not properly described, that you want your money back. If she sends it to you, and no cert. mail, or no proof of delivery then she has no proof she sent it..also...if you recieve something from her..... Go someplace, like the police station...with the delivery conf. or cert. mail conf. unopened and open it in front of them, chances are she did not put it in there, and you have a peace officer who isn't going to lie that there is no ring in there...Now if she DOES send the ring, say you are a dissatisfied customer and you want a refund...request over email...then report her to ebay after you send back the ring in a box, cert. mail with a witness to the ring is in there..then she has no case and she has to give you the money back!

jondalar

novembersea said:
Well I am at a loss, she is obviously a bitter person who cannot move on. My ex still pulls that stuff after 3.5 years. Did ebay or paypal ever get back to you? File a complaint saying you never got the merchandise and you want a refund! lol...it might work!
Yeah... Paypal is "investigating" and Ebay won't help... as far as saying that I didn't get it:

gryndor said:
She forwarded me a ton of emails back and forth from her email address to mine, and from mine to hers!! These talked all about how "I" noticed the ring for sale, and how much "I" loved the ring and wanted it back, and her agreeing to sell it to "me," and arrangements, and price negotiations, "me" receiving and loving the ring, reminiscing on good times (yeah right!!), etc. etc... there's like 50 emails back and forth!

N

nicolia

I told you

jondalar...do as I said. Contact PayPal's security division and dispute the claim. You only have 30 days from the purcahse to do so....if you wait longer, YOU ARE SCREWED.

Tell them you never received any product and asked the seller for proof of delivery...and she was unable to do so. PayPal will reverse the charges and give you your money back.

At that point, tell them you want to close your PayPal account. Also, tell your bank about the issue and have them give you a new bank account number.

Call them here: 1-888-221-1161

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">