• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot Accident in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jaymndad

What is the name of your state? California

My ex-wife and my son went to her doctor's office for an appointment. While my son was getting out of my ex-wife's truck he opened the door too wide and dinged (I was told about the size of a quarter) the door on the car parked next to him. The police were not notified.

Am I liable as my son's father? Is my ex-wife liable? I was told since it was on private property they can not come after us?

Happy Trails

Jaymndad said:
What is the name of your state? California

My ex-wife and my son went to her doctor's office for an appointment. While my son was getting out of my ex-wife's truck he opened the door too wide and dinged (I was told about the size of a quarter) the door on the car parked next to him. The police were not notified.

Am I liable as my son's father? Is my ex-wife liable? I was told since it was on private property they can not come after us?
You could let your wife's insurance company handle it. But if the deductible is higher than damage; than it is best to settle without going through them.

It doesn't matter that it was on private property.

How old is your son?

J

Jaymndad

My son is 11, does that matter?

The ex-wife is uninsured. I believe the damage is minimal. Am I at risk of a law-suit?

Happy Trails

Jaymndad said:
My son is 11, does that matter?

The ex-wife is uninsured. I believe the damage is minimal. Am I at risk of a law-suit?
I can only answer from a moral standpoint. I would show my son that you and wife would own up to the responsibility and do the right thing. But 'IAAL' is on and hopefully he will advise to the legal aspect.

I may add that you should be concerned ex-wife is driving uninsured with your son.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">