• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife Rear Ended Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RD0587

WWhat is the name of your state? Florida

May 2002 I was rear-ended by my then fiance (now wife) at about 50mph. I was stopped. My car was totaled, hers had $9000 damage. I told the police she was my fiance and they did not ticket her. We both had and still have State Farm Ins.

Within a few days my neck started to bother me. I started to go to a chiropractor and he diagnosed me as having whiplash. He treated me until about Dec. 2003 when I received a letter from State Farm - my benefits under her policy are expired. I stopped going to the chiropractor as the visits were not being paid for.

I work in an office and on long days my neck becomes fatigued and I have pain. Also at other times like: going to a football or hockey game; wrestling with the kids in the pool; we took a 2 hour bus tour while on vacation and after an afternoon of turning my neck and head looking at sites all I wanted to do was get back to the room and lie down and rest my neck and head. The pain seems worse on those days when I actively move and turn my neck.

I know I should see the chiropractor again but I don't feel it is my obligation to pay for treatments. Prior to this accident I never had neck fatigue or pain issues. I could and did anything I wanted.

I don't want to sue my wife and I am not sure but my insurance rates would probably go up- we both have State Farm.

State Farm has offered to give me $2,500 to settle and sign a release. I feel I don't know what could happen in the futire - this is not going away and it could be a life-long event with my neck and I should be compensated for my pain, suffering - what about lost time at the office?

If anyone has insight in a case like this please let me know.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

RD0587 said:
WWhat is the name of your state? Florida

May 2002 I was rear-ended by my then fiance (now wife) at about 50mph. I was stopped. My car was totaled, hers had $9000 damage. I told the police she was my fiance and they did not ticket her. We both had and still have State Farm Ins.

Within a few days my neck started to bother me. I started to go to a chiropractor and he diagnosed me as having whiplash. He treated me until about Dec. 2003 when I received a letter from State Farm - my benefits under her policy are expired. I stopped going to the chiropractor as the visits were not being paid for.

I work in an office and on long days my neck becomes fatigued and I have pain. Also at other times like: going to a football or hockey game; wrestling with the kids in the pool; we took a 2 hour bus tour while on vacation and after an afternoon of turning my neck and head looking at sites all I wanted to do was get back to the room and lie down and rest my neck and head. The pain seems worse on those days when I actively move and turn my neck.

I know I should see the chiropractor again but I don't feel it is my obligation to pay for treatments. Prior to this accident I never had neck fatigue or pain issues. I could and did anything I wanted.

I don't want to sue my wife and I am not sure but my insurance rates would probably go up- we both have State Farm.

State Farm has offered to give me $2,500 to settle and sign a release. I feel I don't know what could happen in the futire - this is not going away and it could be a life-long event with my neck and I should be compensated for my pain, suffering - what about lost time at the office?

If anyone has insight in a case like this please let me know.
**A: watch your back, she may shoot you next.

stephenk

you aren't going to get much more since you have stopped treating for 9 months. plus, whiplash doesn't typically last such a long time.

Did you have your own doctor check you out? Did the chiro ever tell you to consult with an orthopedic doctor?

You Are Guilty

Well, if you don't want to sue your wife, the person who hit you, who do you want to sue? Ford? George Bush? Me?

Point being, you don't have a lot of options - only one person is responsible for your damages, and you married her.

R

RD0587

Thanks for the response.

I never did go to a doctor - I don't have a regular one. Chiro referred me to "Neuroscience & Spine Associates".

I don't exactly recall the doc's credentials but his diagnosis was "soft tissue injuries to cervical and lumbar spine" with "diminished spontaneous motion of the neck" and he reccommended an MRI of the lumbar spine.

RD

R

RD0587

I guess I feel that the ins. co. should be more responsible.

ellencee

RD0587
Did you ever have the MRI of your spine? I can't believe you would receive chiropractic treatment for 17 months, use up all of the insurance benefits without seeking to rule out a real orthopedic/neurological injury and receive more definitive treatment. That was a heck of an impact; it's a wonder it didn't decapitate you from the whiplash action.

My suggestion is that you see a neurologist/orthopedic surgeon before you settle anything and that you find out if your insurance policy will pick up where hers leaves off.

EC

Happy Trails

Ellencee is absolutely right. You need to have the full extent of your injuries examined. Before you sign off of anything.

It may be a pain in the neck now; but the bills later could be a pain in the a$$.

JETX

Okay, lets bring a dose of sanity to all of this....

Bottom line..... Try to negotiate the best settlement offer you can get from the insurance company. If you are unsuccessful in settling this claim, you are going to need to sue the at fault party, your wife!!
The insurance company will then step in and provide legal defense to protect their policyholder, YOUR WIFE, against your lawsuit.

JETX

ellencee said:
JETX
Are you saying my advice lacked so much as a smidgen of sanity?EC
No. But I am also not going to take the time to say....
"Let's see.... response #2 was inane, #3 was good, #7 wasn't, #9 was", etc.

The bottom line is the writer says he doesn't want to sue his wife, yet that is going to be the only way that he will likely get compensated for his claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">