• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors water drains into my patio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ronj20

What is the name of your state? CA

When my neighbor waters his grass or hoses down his patio, the water runs beneath a gate on the boundry of our properties and pools on my patio. Can I create a structure on my property that prevents the water from draining from his to mine? Creating a barier on my side would cause the water to pool up on his, and would likely cause the gate to rot over time. The gate is his.

Can you point me to a law or regulation that covers this.

Thanks

HomeGuru

ronj20 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

When my neighbor waters his grass or hoses down his patio, the water runs beneath a gate on the boundry of our properties and pools on my patio. Can I create a structure on my property that prevents the water from draining from his to mine? Creating a barier on my side would cause the water to pool up on his, and would likely cause the gate to rot over time. The gate is his.

Can you point me to a law or regulation that covers this.

Thanks
**A: then build a block tile wall right next to your property line.

M

man-o-man

It is, in fact, against the law for him to cause his property to drain onto your property. Whether it's from watering, or even from rain, or for any reason at all. Of course you can prevent his run-off from coming onto your property !!! You should get him to do something about it at his expense, but if you're willing to do it at your expense; that's awfully nice of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">