• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my g/f be forced to stay w/ parents @ 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dj-18

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio
My girlfriend is one month from being 18. I am already 19 and on my own. My girlfriends parents don't like us together and they told her that she is not allowed to move out till she is 21. Is that legal in the state of Ohio? What age can someone legally move out of their parents home with or without there consent in the state of OH?

rmet4nzkx

dj-18 said:
My girlfriend is one month from being 18. I am already 19 and on my own. My girlfriends parents don't like us together and they told her that she is not allowed to move out till she is 21. Is that legal in the state of Ohio? What age can someone legally move out of their parents home with or without there consent in the state of OH?
Your girlfriend will be an adult at age 18, that doesn't mean, however, that she will necessiarly be able to shed her parents influence and her need for their support as a practical matter.

Ohio Revised Code
TITLE XXXI DOMESTIC RELATIONS
CHILDREN
CHAPTER 3109
CHILDREN

Age of majority.
All persons of the age of eighteen years or more, who are under no legal disability, are capable of contracting and are of full age for all purposes.

Title XXXI, Chap. 3109, § 3109.01

BelizeBreeze

Your girlfriend can move out at midnight on the day she turns 18. But if she moves in with you then she becomes your problem.

Happy Trails

dj-18 said:
Is she still in school?

You do realize if things work out with this girl and you decide to get married that her parents will become your in-laws. Do you want a relationship with people that already don't like you? Also you want to help her move out of their home (they will probably despise you).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">