• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother trying to help her convicted son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

periquita

What is the name of your state?
VA

My 21 year old son has been sentenced to a year in jail at Albemarle, Charlottesville, VA. He was found guilty on two counts of drug distribution. One count on marijuana distribution (less of ½ ounce) for he was given 3 months in jail, and the second charge was distribution of mushrooms, I do not know what kind (I am clueless about illegal drugs) and was given 9 months in jail for a total of 12 months in jail. I think he was given 20 years in total with 19 suspended plus 5 years probation. His car (that was mine) including his books was also taken by the police and sold in a public auction.

But the judge also said that he was going to allow him to spend 6 months in jail and the other 6 months in home incarceration to allow him to go back to college and finish his college education. (He had only 12 credits to finish). My son was caught thru a police operation that required the help of an informant who happened to be one of my son’s friends.

We hired a lawyer who consumed all our family savings and now he is no longer returning our phone calls. My son has been there for 3 months. He is consumed with guilt, remorse, and depression. He now understands that jail is no place for an intelligent, well educated individual who could have chosen better. Needless to say my family and I are devastated. His phone calls are long distance and our phone bill is hundreds of dollar every month, but that is the only way that we can help him and help ourselves.

My son believes that now his life has been ruined for ever, that he will never be given a second chance in life to pursue his dreams, that he will never be able to become a doctor, or a lawyer, or even find a decent job. Is that true? If not, what are the steps to have his felony records sealed in Virginia? I am now debating if we should keep this lawyer or get a new one. I am afraid that the judge will not honor his word to give him home incarceration for the last six months since it is not written anywhere.
I do not know what to do next and if I should start getting him an apartment near his university but at the same time I do not want to get stuck with a lease if he is not released at the end of the six months. It is very difficult to get apartments in his area. Please help me with any ideas and recommendations. I am a single mom trying to save the life and the future of her only child.
Thanks in advance for all your help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snostar

In Virgina there is no expungement of police and court records unless one of the below requirements have been met.
1. An Acquittal
2. A Nolle Prosecui (dismissal)
3. A Pardon

D

D.B. Cooper

Don't worry about it, his time will go quick and will make him tougher inside. he will be out before you know it. It can make it harder, but one still can become an attorney with a conviction. Thier are actually lawyers who specalize in helping future attorneys in this situation

P

periquita

Thanks DB Cooper

Thanks D.B. Cooper for your kind words. I really needed them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">